Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 camaro

jseguin60
11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
my daughter has the opportunity to buy a 1989 camaro which needs brake lines, and possibly front end work. we arent sure what else it needs as we wouldnt be able to drive until the brake lines are done. body wise it needs some work and its been sitting awhile. they are asking 1100 or best. i am unfamiliar with cost of parts, availability, etc. and wondering if this would be a good investment. its got 90,000 miles on the engine. any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

wrightz28
11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, my opinion, if your daughter is eager to learn about cars through experience, this is the one. :wink:

Parts, cheap and relatively esay to come across. Brake lines, you're best off making your own. You can get pre flared sections of varying length. Since you have rotted brake lines, I would suggest on the body, look around the winshield pilars towards the bottom. Any rot there means that water has traveled down the pilar and into the the only 'floor board' support wich is under the seat. consequence of this, is pretty easy to figure out.

jseguin60
11-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I appreciate the feedback which I promptly relayed to her. I think she's probably up for the challenge, so as time goes by you'all will be hearing how this project is coming along, alot of questions and advice needed (groan....) personally, i think im alittle too old for this...

wrightz28
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
personally, i think im alittle too old for this...

taha, A much snesored version of my thoughts after slithering around using my shoulder's to maneuver under a vehicle a few weekends past to replace rotty brake lines. (to say anything of the pain sores there after) :grinno:

As long as the body rot is ok, and she's up for it, hey, she's got more heart than my boys. :disappoin

Would this be a V6 or V8?

Blt2Lst
11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
taha, A much snesored version of my thoughts after slithering around using my shoulder's to maneuver under a vehicle a few weekends past to replace rotty brake lines. ?

Steel brake lines can be a real PITA to replace, I feel your pain on that one.

FastIROCZ28
03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
This would be a good chance for your daughter to learn the basics of a car. $1,100 sounds decent if it doesn't have any huge problems with the engine or transmission or axle area/rear end. But even if you bought a $4,000 great shape Camaro from that generation expect to put a few hundred bucks into it right away. That's been my experience with them.

To answer your thread more specifically I'd also like to point out that you said the engine has 90,000 miles on it. Well, last time I checked just about everyone I've seen selling their 3rd Gen. Camaro or Firebird always say it has this or that because those odometers only have room for 5 digits, not 6. My car reads off at having 50,000 miles but there is no way it has 50,000 miles. Not that mine is in bad shape but it has 150,000 miles original. This car may have 190,000 miles (ask for proof of mileage and for any rebuilds and mileage records on any rebuilds too) and if it has that many miles then you're for sure going to spend more money than you may realize right now. These cars are known for having electrical issues as they get older and since it's MAF equipped those can get dirty and bad so check that too. They're expensive to replace.

I'm just trying to give you some ideas and insight and hopefully I've helped a little bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Add your comment to this topic!