Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 GTP Window Regulator

2002GTP
11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey guys,

My driver side rear window regulator has gone out, for the third time, but for the first time not under warranty, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ordering parts online?

I spoke with my mechanic at the GM dealership, and he agreed to install a part I ordered (which would save me almost 200 dollars), but he warned me against ordering parts online.

All the research I have done, has lead me to this. Asking actual people who might have had the same problem I have.

For reference, THIS (http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/pontiacgrandprix19972003replacementp4917024748.htm l?prodSlot=SEO+Make+Model+Part+Page:2) is the part I was considering ordering.

Thanks for any input/opinions.

BNaylor
11-07-2010, 05:17 PM
To many the cost sounds low and ridiculous but hard to say on this one. But I see it has a drive motor too.

There is nothing wrong with power window regulators found on-line especially at places like Ebay or on-line discount auto parts suppliers. Generally, you can get regulators with drive motors from reputable sellers for well under $100. I was doubtful and went GM OE in the past only but after giving it a try changed my mind. I got the regulator assembly without drive motor for under $40.00. The key is to properly install it.

And welcome to AF.

2002GTP
11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice! I think I am going to give it a shot... if it doesn't work out, ah well, I learned something I guess ;)

BNaylor
11-09-2010, 06:02 AM
if it doesn't work out, ah well, I learned something I guess ;)

You're welcome and good luck. Yeah you and me both. Mine are still hanging in there with no issues.

doctorhrdware
11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Just to add my 2 cents, my wife's Silverado would keep killing the driver's side window regulator. The first time it went I purchased one from GM. That one lasted just under a year and of course it broke in the winter, I froze my ass off replacing it. So the next one I bought, was the dorman brand. That one also died in the winter just under a year too. The next one I bought on EBay and it is still going strong, this was almost 4 years ago. So now the passenger side is grinding and will not go all the way down. So I am going to buy another one off of EBay. Then I will be done with replacing the window regulators in the wife's truck.

jakegday
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
i recommend Dorman brand from rockauto.com. i have 2 of them. my drivers side one is almost 2 years old now and it hauls ass just like it did the day i installed it. and just this week i put a new one in my passenger side door. i added an oil filter, and 2 day expedited shipping and it was still $17 cheaper then getting that same brand from the local O'riellys.

pint4
11-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I have had similar problems with both my Bonneville and Grand Prix. I bought my regulators on line from 1A Auto and have had no problems. Cost-$50 to $55 and lifetime warranty. I also bought replacement headlights from them for my G6 with no issues.

Add your comment to this topic!