Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to Replace Outer CV Boot

hillre
11-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Hello all,

My son has a 1999 Geo Metro with L3 engine (98,000 miles). We need to know if anyone can assist with how to replace the outer CV boot on this thing. The locals are asking $100 plus to replace the boot; It is basically torned all the way around and has lost nearly all of the grease. Any assistance would be appreciated? Also, does anyone know wheter or not this would be in the Haynes manual?

Thanks

Scrapper
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
if it was me i'd buy the whole half shaft and be done with it. you can put a quick boot on it but i don't recomened it unless you get a good one.

Woodie83
11-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Only way to go is the whole half shaft, expect the one on the other side to go soon too. All that rubber left the factory on the same day and has been exposed to the same weather.

Might be in a Haynes or Chilton's book, definitely in a Factory Service Manual and all the details will actually be right in the FSM.

mcmalloy
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
i would go with a whole shaft aswell , i have never had any luck taking them apart and putting them back together.you should be able to find a good one at the wreckers,

Scrapper
11-06-2010, 11:27 AM
back in the day it would cost you just as much to put c/v boot or outer c/v joint now you can get a half shaft for about just as much as 1 c/v joint. but fix it right or don't fix it....i'm not meaning in a sh... way either. good luck...scrapper.......

hillre
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I've NEVER replaced/installed a CV axle. Is this difficult to replace them? If not, what are the procedures? Would the procedures be in a Haynes manual?
The local shops are asking $275, [parts + labor costs] to replace the axle (just one of them).

I would like to do it myself if it's too difficult. Please advise!

if it was me i'd buy the whole half shaft and be done with it. you can put a quick boot on it but i don't recomened it unless you get a good one.

hillre
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I will look into it ASAP!

Only way to go is the whole half shaft, expect the one on the other side to go soon too. All that rubber left the factory on the same day and has been exposed to the same weather.

Might be in a Haynes or Chilton's book, definitely in a Factory Service Manual and all the details will actually be right in the FSM.

hillre
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Auto Zone has them for $47. That isn't too bad is it?

i would go with a whole shaft aswell , i have never had any luck taking them apart and putting them back together.you should be able to find a good one at the wreckers,

Woodie83
11-09-2010, 04:23 AM
That's such a great price I'd be suspicious. :-) I've heard people say not to get remanufactured, only buy new axles, but they sell an awful lot of them, must be working for someone. You should replace the seal where the axle goes into the transmission and you'll need three quarts of Pennsoil Synchromesh, half of the juice will come out of the transmission when you pull the axle out. Here's a transmission removal guide, pictures two three and four have to do with removing the axle.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/638772

Scrapper
11-09-2010, 08:55 PM
yes and replacing whole half shaft it's really easy you'd think it be hard but it isn't and i mean it for real. something else it's there fault if outer c/v/or boot again and allot cleaner on your cloths and hands.

G10HIO
11-16-2010, 09:43 PM
To answer your question (How to replace outer CV boot)...

Do you have access to the Haynes Repair manual? They explain the entire process very well.

G10HIO
"Unleash the beast that is Geo"

Add your comment to this topic!