Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Time to change my water pump!

grandprixgtx00
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
so...came out of work today to a fairly large puddle of orange stuff under my car (GREAT!) After inspection, found my water pump is leaking pretty good. Any suggestions on what replacement water pump to use?

I'm thinking about getting the GMB (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-Water-Pump-GMB_5420458-P_54_R%7CGRPCOOLAMS_1391319639___) (click link) from Advanced, however I have not used their products. thoughts?

thanks everyone!

doctorhrdware
11-05-2010, 02:27 AM
That is where I got mine at, but I do not remember which one water pump that I got.

richtazz
11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
GMB is an excellent aftermarket line. Advance used to carry ASC, which were decent, but GMB's are one of the best out there.

grandprixgtx00
11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
GMB is an excellent aftermarket line. Advance used to carry ASC, which were decent, but GMB's are one of the best out there.

yeah, I'm familiar with ASC and never had a problem with them. Good to hear Rich, your input is much appreciated.

Gonna be doing the water pump tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes. Maybe even snap a few pics.

richtazz
11-06-2010, 07:54 AM
You're welcome. We sell them where I work as a lower cost alternative to AC-Delco, and I personally think they are a better pump.

grandprixgtx00
11-06-2010, 08:13 PM
well, fix is going to be a little bigger than expected. Had a really nice puddle of coolant by the fuel injectors on the front side of the motor. Guess I'll be tearing off the top end and doing the LIM, take the heads off and get them machined, probably just park it for winter and do the top swap along with maybe a cam. Perfect time to do it I guess :iceslolan

tblake
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
well, fix is going to be a little bigger than expected. Had a really nice puddle of coolant by the fuel injectors on the front side of the motor. Guess I'll be tearing off the top end and doing the LIM, take the heads off and get them machined, probably just park it for winter and do the top swap along with maybe a cam. Perfect time to do it I guess :iceslolan

Sounds fun!! Need a hand? What cam were you gonna go with? Why do you want to pull the heads? Are your head gaskets blown or just LIM gaskets?

grandprixgtx00
11-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Sounds fun!! Need a hand? What cam were you gonna go with? Why do you want to pull the heads? Are your head gaskets blown or just LIM gaskets?

haha, if ya wanna make a trip over to WI I could always use a helping hand! I'm pulling the heads off as more of a precautionary procedure I guess. Have them pressure tested and cleaned up. Replace the head gaskets while I'm in there. The car is coming up on 13 years old ya know?! :lol2:

As far as the cam, I'm open to any suggestions anyone has. I've heard pretty decent things about the XP Hot cam, and leaning towards that way currently. But I've also heard some pretty decent things about the VS Cam.

tblake
11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
haha, if ya wanna make a trip over to WI I could always use a helping hand! I'm pulling the heads off as more of a precautionary procedure I guess. Have them pressure tested and cleaned up. Replace the head gaskets while I'm in there. The car is coming up on 13 years old ya know?! :lol2:

As far as the cam, I'm open to any suggestions anyone has. I've heard pretty decent things about the XP Hot cam, and leaning towards that way currently. But I've also heard some pretty decent things about the VS Cam.

Sure I can make a trip. But I dont know which cam to go with. I can change them out no problem but have no experience with different kinds.

Add your comment to this topic!