92 Camry Front Brake Pad Preference

Blt2Lst
11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I will be replacing the rotors and front pads on a 92 camry LE and was curious what pads people are using for normal use.
Semi Met
Ceramic
Organic

I was looking at the selection at Rockauto.com and the selection is overwhelming.
I know, organic should be at the bottom of the list but what about the other two types.

Any help would be appreciated. :smokin:

Brian R.
11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Buy Toyota pads. They are not that expensive and work as good or better than most. I believe they are semi-metallic.

danielsatur
11-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Do the Organic pads eat Rotors like others?

Brian R.
11-05-2010, 10:11 AM
No, organic pads are normally the least abrasive. The semi-metallics don't cause trouble with rotor wear either (I use Toyota pads). I don't know what wear the ceramics cause, but metallics definitely wear the rotors.

Mike Gerber
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I purchased and installed full ceramic pads and rotors from Pep Boys a few years ago on my 94 Camry 4 cylinder. The rotors were their basic rotors for around $30 each. Within 2000 miles the new rotors were warped. I took them back to Pep Boys and they exchanged them for they better quality rotors. I paid the difference between the $30 price on the original rotors and the $53 price for their better rotors. The better rotors had a lot more meat in the center of the rotor than the cheaper rotors. I have had no problems since. The point of all this is that from my experience, the full ceramic pads last a long time, but are so hard that they can easily warp the cheaper (thinner) rotors. If you are going to use the ceramic pads, get the upgraded rotors.

Mike

Blt2Lst
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Within 2000 miles the new rotors were warped. I took them back to Pep Boys and they exchanged them for they better quality rotors.

get the upgraded rotors.
Mike

That's pretty common with the cheap rotors no matter what you drive, if you want them to last you have to get the better rotors. Stay away from chineese rotors or change them every 2k. :runaround:

I like the Raybestos made in either USA or Canada rotors, they seem to last for me however this is my first brake job on this car and I might find the Toyota parts are the way to go.

BTW, where do you guys get your Toyota OEM parts?

Brian R.
11-06-2010, 01:47 PM
A local Toyota dealer. As far as long-life goes, my Toyota pads, shoes, drums, and rotors lasted over 100,000 miles on my Camry and 4Runner.

feniks
11-07-2010, 11:44 PM
If you're looking for a strong brakes grip I would consider getting Akebono Street Performance pads on front. they are ceramics just as Toyota OEM (which is Akebono ProACT often times as I read), but much stronger grip.

Anotehr strong ceramic pads (fronts) are Hawk HPS, only problem they are not super quiet (can squeal sometimes) and they dust the more they wear.

Consider resurfacing rotors at local shop (e.g. $24 a pair at local Strauss Auto) and flushing the brake fluid for best results.

good brake pad reviews and ratings you can find on the tirerack.com

2000izusu
11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
when i had the three camrys i used semi-metallic from aftermarket parts stores. never had a problem with them i would routinely get 50-70 thousand miles out of them.

Blt2Lst
11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I decided to go with the Raybestos PG rotors (made in usa or canada) and Raybestos PG semi-met pads. I have had good luck with these parts in the past and I refuse to pay dealer prices for parts.

I currently have the Hawk pads on my 89 mustang and am totally happy with them. I just did not want to spend the extra $40 on pads for a car I will be selling soon.

Blt2Lst
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Do the Organic pads eat Rotors like others?

Organics would be the least damaging to rotors but would also wear out faster than the other types.

Add your comment to this topic!