Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Grand Prix GTP shutting off/tach problems

duke_winchester
11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a 1997 Grand Prix GTP, and for a few months now, at random, I will notice that my car seems to do what feels like a misfire/jerking action and then my tach completely dies, but the car still drives. Today, the car was very hard to start. I needed to turn it over for quite some time, but I finally got it started. On the way into school, it died twice on me, both times when slowing down to stop at lights. After each, it was hard starting again. This afternoon, it started fine without trouble, but when I pulled into my driveway, the car shut off again and was very hard to start again. Any ideas? Does this sound like the crank position sensor?

Thank you

grandprixgtx00
11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Does this sound like the crank position sensor?

yes sir, sounds like classic symptoms of a bad CPS.

duke_winchester
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Any suggestions on how to keep tension on the crank pulley in order to remove the bolt and when re-torquing it after installation?

rkvons
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Any suggestions on how to keep tension on the crank pulley in order to remove the bolt and when re-torquing it after installation?
Go here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=652664

Well, this link is no good. Sorry. You have to put a ratchet over the nut and lay it on the forward frame member and then kick it over with the key. This will get it off. Someone else can chime in about putting it back together, but you need to clamp the flywheel.

duke_winchester
11-04-2010, 03:27 PM
What about chocking the wheels, then putting the car in drive (not running of course), and turning the nut then? Won't the entire driveline be engaged and thus the pulley shouldn't turn (unless I was superman) when I turn the nut?

duke_winchester
11-04-2010, 05:11 PM
OK. Got the crank pulley bolt out. Now I can't pull the pulley off?

duke_winchester
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Anyone know what thread size the bolt holes are for the harmonic balancer when using a pulley removal tool? M8 seems to be too big

grandprixgtx00
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyone know what thread size the bolt holes are for the harmonic balancer when using a pulley removal tool? M8 seems to be too big

I'm fairly positive it is a 7M. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

duke_winchester
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I just ran across an article on replacing the CPS that said the bolts are an unusual thread: 1/4-28 x 3 inch.

Add your comment to this topic!