Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Elantra leaking antifreeze (in a weird way)

willcole55
11-03-2010, 11:27 AM
My elantra keeps leaking antifreeze.

It seems to happen after the car has completely cooled, there seems to be no active leak while the engine is running and warmed up (that I can tell, and I've looked alot).

I'll give you an example.

I drive 70 miles to work, I park my car. At lunch time, I go check under my car, there is nothing to speak of, maybe a few drops of AF under the car. I got out at night to drive home, there was a puddle under my car.

Every time I go out to my car the next day, there is a new puddle under my car.

The car does not overheat, and the level is still slightly above "F".

I took it to a garage, they hooked it up to a device that puts pressure on the system, couldn't find a leak.

My father drives the car for three days, no leak.

I park it in my driveway, and it leaks!!!

BTW I'm sure it's antifreeze.

The puddle is always on the right side facing the car (driver's side).

I'll look and the engine will be wet with AF, then after I drive to work I look and the engine looks dry.

After the car cools, there is the puddle.

Any ideas?

willcole55
11-04-2010, 05:52 PM
UPDATE: my car has been leaving a puddle everywhere. The level in the plastic container has not changed.

My car started to overheat last night while stuck in traffic, tonight it won't start.

willcole55
11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
So I think I found the culprit:

the hose in the middle of this picture seems to be leaking (only after the car cools down, as previously stated). I saw antifreeze dripping under the left end of this hose (couldn't see the underside of the hose directly, just that it was dripping below this area).

See the electrical plug on the bottom of the image? It's all wet there with antifreeze (that's where it all drips down).

It was also a little wet on the upper end of this hose.

Can I just replace this hose myself? Are there any tricks to know, or can I simply just remove this hose and put a new one in? Will antifreeze dump everywhere?

I'd appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks!

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv260/wlc3/car-hose.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!