Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air Bag Code 51

half-fast
11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I just connected my code reader to the diagnostic port on the left fender well and followed the procedure for clearing all permanent memory codes. The AirBag Code 51 stopped initially, but then resumed. IE- after the reset, the code didn't begin flashing immediately as it had been.... it took a while before it resumed flashing. I presume this meant it was erased, but then re-established when I started the engine. Code 51 supposedly means there is a blown "Internal Thermal Fuse" in the control box behind the glove box.... which I did locate.

I'll also check the grounds on the sensors when I locate them. Haven't began searching yet.

Now to the question...
What is the procedure for changing this fuse?
What type is the fuse?
Readily available or a Ford/Lincoln Dealer only item?

olopezm
11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi there,

I've never done this kind of repair but I here's some input about thermal fuses:

there are different types of thermal fuses some of them look like a resistor and some others look like common cylinder fuse with something inside, the type normally used on cars is the one that looks like a resistor most of the time is silver colored.

To replace it you'll need to either desolder it from the PCB or just swap it like you would do with any other in line fuse, I lean more towards the desoldering type. The type can most of the times be read from the fuse itself once you've taken it apart.

Finally these type of fuses can be bought at any electronics component store (radioshack, etc.)

Hope this information helps...

Regards,

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!