Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"Pass-Key" Problem

Tutype
11-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Greetings Anyone & Everyone
I have purchased a 96' Grand Am SE (2.4)for my son, however, it will crank over, but not continually run due to the security system locking up. She runs for about 2-3 seconds and shuts off; I do hear the fuel pump running though. The security light flashes, then after let sitting 10 minutes it's a constant light (tried this "reset" after suggestions from other forums). I'm stumped. I read it could be either of the following: BCM, something in the Dash Board, or anti-theft system.
If you have any information, direction, literature, or input on how to override this issue it will be greatly appreciated.
Any Help is greatly appreciated. Please.
Thanks in advance,
-TuType

tblake
11-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Welcome to the Grand Prix forums. We can try to help out, but you may get more relevent info on the Grand am forums.

The security relearn, first make sure that you are using a GM PK3 type key, and not a key copied at wal-mart. (because they will make copied of transponder keys and send you on your way, btdt). A PK3 will be stamped on your key shank.

For the relearn to work, you need to turn your ignition on, leave the car sit like that for a half hour, turn the ignition off, and immediatly back on, leave it sit for another half hour, and repeat this one more time. After the 3rd time, the car should recognize the key and start. (this is how it performs on grand prix's though. Grand am's may be different)

Add your comment to this topic!