Gooseneck conversion?

rollin tank
11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi, I have a 24ft bumper pull, 2 horse trailer with living quarter in the front. This is a very heavy trailer and used to be a gooseneck trailer, why anyone turned it into a bumper pull, Is beond me.

Anyway, they left the axles way back-there under the horses, which leave a lot of weight on my truck, Cheverolet CK2500. It sags sonsiderably in the back end, we use it with load levelers right now. The truck handles a lot better when my 2 horses are in there and theres about 3,000lbs over the axles.

I want to make it easier on my truck or for future trucks and turn the trailer back into a goose neck. I thought of buying a wrecked older trailer and cutting off the gooseneck, or getting a kit. I would have it professionally done.

Any ideas? Has anyone done this before? I have seen trailers turned gooseneck before, but I'm causiouse, I don't want to loose my trailer and horses over a screw up. Thanks

jrecken
11-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, if your hauling horses you should have the gooseneck hitch. I did a search of my favorite hitch distributor and they only have the truck half of a gooseneck. Maybe you could check with a scrap yard and get the trailer half from them.
good luck

jdmccright
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I'd only attempt it with a similar make and model trailer. Finding one that's been in an accident I think is asking for trouble, if not down right hard period given the general scaricity of that size/configuration sold.

I find it troubling only because generally in an accident the gooseneck portion is what transmits the brunt of the crash forces. Since it isn't as linear a force path as a bumper pull is (up and over the tailgate for a goose versus straight to the frame for bumper hitch), there is much more likely deformation in the structure and will make it more difficult to realign with the original framework. Lots of bending and pounding may ensue....

Second, if it is an aluminum construction, aluminum welds will be inherently weaker than an equivalent weld for a steel structure. Alot more reinforcement will be needed to compensate for the lost weld strength.

Any chance of instead moving the axles forward? I think this would be the better and easier option. The axle hard points can be relocated to better distribute the weight, but you'll have to do a little homework to estimate the load balance when the trailer is loaded to get the proper gooseneck weight distribution of 20-25% of the loaded trailer weight.

Hope this helps!

Oh, BTW Draw-Tite has a $75 rebate for gooseneck hitches purchased by November 30, 2010. I got their Hide-A-Goose kit #9461-40 for $325 with free shipping from www.drophitch.com (http://www.drophitch.com).

rollin tank
11-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I did think about moving the axles forward, but I like a gooseneck trailer. So much easier to get around with one and they seem to pull better.

This trailer is an older steel made, brand? I believe it was made in 78', sounds like a good year to me.:iceslolan---- I was told to just buy a different trailer, but a decient gooseneck this size would cost me over $2,500.00, thats for a cheap one. I gave a grand for this trailer not realizing the way it would pull down my truck, I have never put anything that heavy on the truck before, my little 2 horse bumper pull wasn't even noticed behind the truck. I don't want to go threw the hassle of selling it.

I'm going to call the welding shop to see what they think.

Scrapper
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
i'd have it replace also by a good welder and put some extra braces to suport it.

rollin tank
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I still don't understand why someone would turn it into a bumper pull in the first place. Maybe extra space in the living quarters? The trailer is huge, someone had to much time on there hands.

MT-2500
11-03-2010, 06:22 AM
You might also consider a load equalizing hitch or a third axle under trailer.

Check around with some tailer and hitch manufactures they may be able to help.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

rollin tank
11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I actually do use load levelers on it now, but life is changing here, and I am loosing my truch and the stabilizers w/ hitch.

I also had thought about adding a third axle, I was just concerned about how it would pull and handle turns. It could really use an axle more up front, take a lot of pressure off the truck. Semi trailers have axles in the front and behind, so I would emagine my trailer could also.

SOmeone mentioned moving the axles up a bit. Great idea until I looked at the trailer. I have doors from the fenders to the living quarters.

MT-2500
11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Not load levling shocks but.
What I was trying to say is.
They make a load levling hitch that adjusts load to front and rear of truck.

rollin tank
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
You know the welding shop still wont return my call! I have been getting calls from people wanting to sell me there trucks(put add in paper). In the add I stated how large my trailer is and every single one of those people were trying to sell my 1/2 ton trucks. Do they not realize that that light of a truck wouldn't cut it? Maybe they dont care and hoping I wouldn't notice the bumper dragging the ground. Sorry, venting.

One fellow actually told me to sell the trailer, buy a truck and then get a trailer the truck can handle. I'm not thinking nice thoughts right now, although, I have been considering selling the trailer and finding somethin lighter.

jdmccright
11-04-2010, 10:35 AM
The newer 1500s can actually handle quite a load with a bumper pull (well, not by the bumper, but a real trailer hitch), but that can be very expensive as well...$35-40k for a new truck. But the issue probably remains regarding the excessive tongue weight exerted by the trailer. Have you weighed the trailer and gotten a tongue weight? Most commercial truck weigh stations can do this for a fee.

Adding a forward axle may also be expensive since it would probably have to be the retractable type used on dump trucks so you could turn corners.

Without being able to move the axle, you're left with two options: convert it back to gooseneck or sell it and buy a gooseneck. Either way won't be very cheap.

In the meantime, you could look at what you could remove from or change out in the front part of the trailer to lighten the load. Is the existing skin steel? That can be swapped for aluminum. Glass windows? Switch to plexiglass. Got a lot of lavish decor inside...wood, heavy carpet, electronics? Consider going to newer and lighter materials (LCD versus tube TV), or ditch it altogether if you really don't need those luxuries. Anything will help drop the tongue weight

Add your comment to this topic!