Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical issues on 99 GST Spyder

redturbo66
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Here it is: I got no power windows, no stereo, convertible top won't go up or down, and the door locks don't work. My battery loses voltage overnight without car running. I tried changing out the window switch relay.....nogo. Any help would be appreciated.

david-b
11-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Here it is: I got no power windows, no stereo, convertible top won't go up or down, and the door locks don't work. My battery loses voltage overnight without car running. I tried changing out the window switch relay.....nogo. Any help would be appreciated.

So the battery is dying nightly? If so, there is a drain somewhere or its an old battery. Get it charged and hook up a voltmeter up to it. Then start pulling fuses and watch the amps. When you pull a fuse and it the drain drops, then you have something running on that circuit. Then just try to figure out what's pulling on that circuit.

SilvrEclipse
11-03-2010, 07:50 PM
It must be a big drain to kill a battery each day. Do like dave said get a multimeter and switch it to amps, remove the neg terminal and put the meter between the ground and the battery. It will probably be pulling some current. Anything over .2amps is draining the battery. Some current will be pulled by the radio, clock, etc small things that continue to run but will not drain the battery. Be careful to not overstep the rating on the multimeter some cheaper ones are only rated at .5A of so and will blow a fuse if you put more of that through them.

ned032002
11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
When I had this same issue, I pulled the negative terminal off the battery and put a test light in between the post on the battery and the ground wire. The light will most likely light up (if it doesn't light up, then you either hooked it up wrong or there is no draw). Then just start pulling fuses until the light goes out or goes very dim. My draw was involving the dome fuse, and this technique worked awesome. Just so happen to be the last fuse I pulled and the light went right out.

Add your comment to this topic!