98 Accord Slow Crank Problem

piyush1
11-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Could anyone help me with a slow crank issue. I have a 98 accord 4 cylinder auto transmission with 170K. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the car cranks normal, sometimes slow (like a mid winter below 0 start) and occasionally a click, click, click. Had battery checked at 2 auto parts stores and was told it checks fine. Redid the negative ground, and most recently replaced starter. I'm at a complete loss and any ideas would be appreciated. The only think I can think of at this point is to replace both battery cables - while they have aged a bit I really don't think that will solve the problem. Thanks in advance.

somick
11-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Did you replace starter with an aftermarket one?

Sam

jeffcoslacker
11-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd eliminate the obvious answer before chasing ghosts...an internally shorted battery can act like this...work/test fine one time, fall on it's face under different circumstances, or completely random...

If it's over 3-4 years old, replace it and see what happens...not like you won't need it soon anyway...

If it's got caps you can remove, next time it does that lift the hood and pull the caps real quick...a shorted cell will usually smoke slightly and have a sulfur smell to it...

BullShifter
11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Sounds like a starter or battery issue to me. Crappy rebuilt starters aren't worth installing. It's unlikely but those ignition switches are known to go bad but they usually don't affect the cranking speed.

ZenRookie
11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Could anyone help me with a slow crank issue. I have a 98 accord 4 cylinder auto transmission with 170K. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the car cranks normal, sometimes slow (like a mid winter below 0 start) and occasionally a click, click, click. Had battery checked at 2 auto parts stores and was told it checks fine. Redid the negative ground, and most recently replaced starter. I'm at a complete loss and any ideas would be appreciated. The only think I can think of at this point is to replace both battery cables - while they have aged a bit I really don't think that will solve the problem. Thanks in advance.
A click click huh?
sounds to me like the solenoid terminal points. How old is this starter again and what exactly is recently? And when it was replaced was it from a junk yard or NEW.

Ok well if you goto start the car does it make a click click alone or is it turning the engine at the same time the clicking happening. If its not turning then you have bad contact points in the solenoid. And its quite easy to fix on your own. I had this same problem i removed the start opened the solenoid and simply bent the warn contact points up to recieve better contact with the plunger been working fine for months since. If you need a how to let me know i'll post a vid and show you on my car.
Hope i have helpped :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!