Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clockspring gone bad?

olopezm
10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Today the airbag diagnostic light at the instrument cluster came on and stayed on showing code 32, this has happened before but it suddenly stopped and everything was working fine.

The problem is that now the horn doesn't works so... do you guys think the clockspring is bad or could it be a wiring problem?. Thanks in advance...

Best regards,

Oscar.

12Ounce
11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
They do fail. I'm on my second one, and it is now suspect. 300k miles. I wish I had kept my original .... as it may be repairable. Nothing but a couple of wraps of multi-conductor flat cable. If you remove this gadget, be sure to fastened the steering column in some way so that you have the correct "starting point". The clockspring has to be set up so that it does not get damaged as the wheels are turned lock-to-lock.

olopezm
11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks 12Ounce, I tried to remove the air bag module but I couldn't see how it comes out is it held by the two small nuts which can bee seen to the sides of the connectors inside the steering wheel?.

I would like to know more about the multi-conductor cable fix in case my clockspring is repairable. Thanks

Best regards,

Oscar.

12Ounce
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I was a long time ago when I replaced the "clockspring" ... so I don't remember the small details. I do remember I bought the new clockspring before beginning ... once seeing the details of the new spring, I was tempted to try a repair. I haven't actually tried the repair ... it may be more difficult than I'm thinking.

LeSabre97mint
11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I was told that I would have to replace the clock spring on my 98 because they fail after the airbag deploys. I checked the condition of the CS with an ohm meter. It was fine. I've heard that the airbag SHOULD NOT be tested with a meter because it might go off.

I guess this really doesn't answer your question.

Off hand I don't remember how to remove the AB.

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!