Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

o2 sensors with b16a1

EF You
05-21-2003, 03:58 PM
ok, on a stock manifold on a non OBD car, where are the two sensors located? is one before the cat, and one after the cat, just like OBD1 and 2 cars have?

im just wondering because ive hear conflicting BS a buncha times. some people say that one sensor measures pre cat exhaust, and the other measures post cat exhaust, just like any later car does. but then some people told me some crap about one sensor measuring 2 cylinders exhaust, and the other measuring the other two. this part i dont buy in a way, because they all flow through the same area. maybe if the sensors mounted before the pipes merged, it could do that, but otherwise i dont know.

right now i have one sensor on the header and the other on the cat. im pretty sure thats how it should be, but the self doubt creeps in everytime i look at it. i just wanna make sure im not robbing myself of power. and if i do have it right, i gotta make sure i dont have the sensors reversed.

anyone with a b16a1 (preferably someone with a stock setup, so i know its how its supposed to go, or someone with major experience in it) please help

clint
05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I have a CRX SiR euro ( b16a1)

Yes the 2 sensors are in the manifold just like they told you just where they merge from 4-2
so 1 measures cilinder 1&4 the other one 2&3

crxlvr
05-21-2003, 08:59 PM
yeah man, when i got my b16 both sensors were in the manifold, our older cars dont need the sensor behind the cat, so no reason to put one there, just run both wires to one sensor before the cat.

EF You
05-27-2003, 01:48 PM
i am so glad you guys gave me the truth. cause my "USDM mechanic" side of me wanted to think that one sensor had to go after the cat. no wonder my car was running like shit, it was trying to compensate for a lean mixture that didnt exist. thanks again guys. looks like im going to either run both wires to one o2 sensor, or imma go full out and weld a bung to my header for a second one.

thanks guys

Add your comment to this topic!