Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New AMT kits

Verminator
10-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi, can anyone comment on the rash of new kits being produced by AMT. Are they genuine new tools or are they re-tooled old models?
The '66 Olds 442, '69 Plymouth GTX being examples?

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi, can anyone comment on the rash of new kits being produced by AMT. Are they genuine new tools or are they re-tooled old models?
The '66 Olds 442, '69 Plymouth GTX being examples?

They are reissues. That said, those two are from the "new tool" era of the '90's, with very good detail.

The only new tooling from AMT are the 2009 & 2010 Corvette curbside kits.

Drift F.C
11-01-2010, 12:47 AM
They are reissues. That said, those two are from the "new tool" era of the '90's, with very good detail.

The only new tooling from AMT are the 2009 & 2010 Corvette curbside kits.

Do you know if the Corvettes have the correct sized wheels? The challengers were undersized and ugly!

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Do you know if the Corvettes have the correct sized wheels? The challengers were undersized and ugly!

I'm not sure; the photos on the side of the box make the wheels look properly sized, whereas the Challenger wheels were so undersized you could spot that a mile away.

I'm disappointed that AMT made the most basic 5 spoke wheels that look nearly identical to the wheels in the Revell kit that's been around for about 5 years. There are several new wheel styles that I would have preferred and if they'd done any of them, I'd have bought it.

73superduty
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I purchased the convertible AMT kit. If I get the time tomorrow, I'll get the Revell and AMT kit wheels together and take some pics. I just kind of ran through the AMT kit. Couple things that were "different" so we'll have to see how it goes together.
Chris

Add your comment to this topic!