Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front Brake pads replacement

olopezm
10-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Hello guys,

This was my first time replacing the front brake pads on my 97 GT but I think I screwed it :headshake when I forgot to drain some fluid out of the brake reservoir.

After putting everything back together I got inside the car, turned the engine on and stepped on the brake pedal, it went all the way down... suddenly I remembered about draining the fluid from the reservoir so I went ahead and took some of it out until the fluid was in the MAX mark. After that they were OK, then I moved the car back and fort to make sure the brakes were OK. Everything good so far...

I got off the car and started cleaning my tools and storing them. After everything was clean I was ready to go inside the house and have a good glass of soda BUT something told me to look under the car and there was a puddle of brake fluid under the drivers side wheel, I was like WTF; immediately I started feeling the hoses to see if could feel any leak and they were OK, I opened the hood again and checked the brake reservoir it was OK, kept tracing the source of the fluid leak and I found it to be coming out from between the master cylinder and the brake booster. After that I pumped the brake again a few times and asked someone to see under the car and look
for squirting or dripping fluid but nothing happened.

I left a big piece or cardboard under the car to see if it leaks again

Is it possible that I damaged the seals in the master cylinder or between it and the booster?
Was this just a preventive measure from the system to relief the excess of brake fluid?

I'm in big doubt and feel really bad about it... :crying:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Oscar.

inafogg
10-31-2010, 05:15 PM
stop worrying the ''leak'' was over flow from pushing caliber pistons in
no problem drive it cautiously at first just to be sure
plus you need to seat brakes in anyway
good luck mike

olopezm
10-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks Mike,

I was kinda worried because this has been my first time ever replacing a set of brake pads and definitely that surprise wasn't on the list...

I'll be careful with the car during these first days, thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Oscar.

grandprixgtx00
11-01-2010, 01:38 AM
for future reference, pump the brakes BEFORE starting the vehicle :biggrin:

btw: never heard of draining the reservoir before doing a brake job :confused:

tblake
11-01-2010, 09:50 AM
As brake bads wear, the caliper pistons travel farther out causing the fluid level in the resivor to go down. People see this and top it off, which is ok, but when you go to put brake pads in, and you contract the piston, the brake fluid in the resivore rises.

I usually just take the cap off befor I start and look to see how full it is, remove some if necessicary. However, the best thing you can do is crack open the bleeders and bleed excess fluid out that way. However in MN, after about a year or so in the salty elements, trying to crack open a bleeder could result in replacement of a caliper.

olopezm
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
for future reference, pump the brakes BEFORE starting the vehicle :biggrin:

btw: never heard of draining the reservoir before doing a brake job :confused:

Well not fully draining it, only about 2/3 of the fluid inside, that's what my Hayness book says; I know it's crappy but it works for the easy stuff, when in need of better detail and full procedures I used Mitchell On Demand. Thanks for your advice.

As brake bads wear, the caliper pistons travel farther out causing the fluid level in the resivor to go down. People see this and top it off, which is ok, but when you go to put brake pads in, and you contract the piston, the brake fluid in the resivore rises.

I usually just take the cap off befor I start and look to see how full it is, remove some if necessary. However, the best thing you can do is crack open the bleeders and bleed excess fluid out that way. However in MN, after about a year or so in the salty elements, trying to crack open a bleeder could result in replacement of a caliper.

Thanks for the advice Tim, I'll make sure it doesn't happens again by either removing some from the reservoir or using the bleeder valves...

-------------------------------------------

Best regards,

Oscar.

olopezm
11-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Well I road tested the car today and everything is fine, it scared the hell out of me to see the puddle of brake fluid under the car, form now on I won't forget to open the bleeder valves before pushing the pistons XD. Had to learn the bad way....

Thanks everyone for your time,

Oscar.

doctorhrdware
11-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I have always pushed the piston in without opening the bleeder screw. So far I have never had any issues doing that way.

rkvons
11-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, you do the brake job. New rotors and new pads. You take it for a spin, making sure the brakes are broken in, then you make sure the level of brake fluid in the reservoir is correct, and you leave it alone. You should not have to add fluid to the reservoir. When you do your next brake job, you need to do nothing with the reservoir, or the bleeder valves. Just push the pistons back in, new pads, new rotors, and done. This has worked for me. Of course, there is the occasional purge and refill of the entire system, which I have not done on my '98 yet.

Add your comment to this topic!