Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater Core?

GregGP
10-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Hello all. I finally got around to fixing my HVAC fan resistor/relay. Now that the blower motor is working correctly, I noticed another possible problem: There is a huge difference in the volume of air coming from the vents when I move between hot and cold air. The cold setting lets a lot more air flow through the vents. Is this normal, or are the heater core fins plugged up with dirt? And will it damage anything by running it this way?

Scrapper
10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
is it blowing out hot air still or cool? is it running hot on guage on dash or you got dummy lite? if not right on heat yes probably a new heater core unless acculator gumbed up or blend door's not opening rite?

GregGP
10-31-2010, 01:29 AM
No, the coolant temp is exactly as it should be, and the blend doors are functioning correctly. when i turn the hvac temperature from cold to hot, there is a lot less air coming from the vents.

doctorhrdware
10-31-2010, 01:47 AM
I think that there is a dust problem on the heater core. If there is not a cabin filter that would be the cause. So try using a compressor to blow out the heater core if possible.

BNaylor
10-31-2010, 07:32 AM
So try using a compressor to blow out the heater core if possible.

Good luck with that. You guys do know what is involved in blowing out any dust or contaminants from the heater core? You have to remove it first which is a real PITA!

If you think doing a blower motor or resistor job is bad try replacing a heater core. :grinno:

BNaylor
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
GregGP,

It would help to annotate which climate control system you have. Choice of manual single zone, manual dual zone or dual zone automatic ACC (CJ2).

On the manual single or manual dual zones it is normal to get a reduction in the volume of air or feel coming out the floor or dash vents when you vary the heat control(s) or depending on how tested. Cold = higher flow, warm/hot = lower flow. Heat position on climate control unit. Therefore, you may not have any problem or in others words normal. :thinkerg:

GregGP
11-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Sorry about that.. It's a dual zone manual control system. Sounds like it's probably fine then. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!