Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Grand Prix 2 door window problem

olopezm
10-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello guys, I'm very happy to drive my GP again! I had it re-aligned today and got the ball joints replaced too, one of them had some slack so I decided to have both replaced...

Now my problem is that the passenger window is leaning to the front of the car when you roll it up, you have to give it a hand and hold it against the back or else it won't close, is this a loose bolt/screw causing it to lean forward?

I tried to remove the door panel, but couldn't find a way to do it, I took off the 2 torx screws by the door handle but else from that I couldn't remove it I was so afraid that it would brake that I wanted to ask first.

Thanks in advance for any help, best regards,

Oscar.

grandprixgtx00
10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
sounds like the window came off track. fairly easy fix.

the door panels aren't all that hard to get off. Just pull real hard on them, forget about trying to save the clips...you're going to break a few of them regardless.

you can get new door clips at the local parts store for fairly cheap.

BNaylor
10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
It sounds like the power window regulator has an issue. Most likely worn out or out of place Bowden cables or plastic clip broken off the window mount which is still part of the regulator assembly. You can get a regulator with or without the drive motor since the drive motor isn't the problem. Once you get the door panel off just do a visual inspection first.

On the door panel you have to pull the panel off starting at the bottom of the door panel and working your way up. There are several push pin plastic clips that hold it to the door frame. You may need to get replacement push pins since some will break. Dorman makes GM generic. The GM ones can run as high as $8 per pin which is way too expensive.

olopezm
10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Ah thanks Bob and grandpirxgtx00 I was afraid to brake the panel itself, I'll take a quick look at it tomorrow since I'll be replacing front brake pads...

I'll make a visual inspection and just in case I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Best regards,

Oscar.

TDWPgtp
10-30-2010, 09:20 PM
i strongly recommend getting a door panel pin removing tool, or at the very least, a screwdriver to pry the panel from the door. if you simply pull the door panel it will crack and or break. whatever you use to pry it off, try to get as close to each pin as possible

Add your comment to this topic!