Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 with 32,000 miles, Supper Nice!

happydog500
10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
My friends wifes Dad died. He had a 96 with 32,000 original miles he pampered. Kept it in the garadge all the time. Drove it nice and easy.

I can get it for about $2,500. This thing looks and feels like a new car. I don't know much about Caprice's. What can you tell me about them? Any thing I should worry about?

Thank you,
Chris.

j cAT
10-30-2010, 12:16 PM
My friends wifes Dad died. He had a 96 with 32,000 original miles he pampered. Kept it in the garadge all the time. Drove it nice and easy.

I can get it for about $2,500. This thing looks and feels like a new car. I don't know much about Caprice's. What can you tell me about them? Any thing I should worry about?

Thank you,
Chris.

the price paid and condition you got a good deal. the vehicle has some problems with this age. the air injection check valves need replacing . If not the air injection pump will get damaged. they cost 20.oo ea need 2.

replace the PCV and the hoses to it , especially the 90deg hose at the intake .....

the underhood fuse box has a large battery supply wire connected to the side of it. make sure that lug is secure and clean.

even though the mileage is low I would replace the shocks with some bilstiens to firm up the ride. make sure that the front stabilizer bar bushings are still solid not cracking.

replacing the coolant only use GM approved dexcool with distilled water. also this vehicle uses a special thermostat. using the wrong one will cause overheating. draining the entire engine is possible by removing the knock sensors. the heater core gets plugged easy so remove the heater hoses at the engine and flush out.

use silicone on the door / trunk rubber gaskets.

never wash this engine. be careful that no water gets on or near the distributor. If coolant leaks on to the distributor, this will destroy it and this is very costly to repair.....

since this most likely has the original dexron III fluid in it I would make sure this is removed filter replaced and the new dexron VI installed. this is the replacement fluid because dexron III does not hold up with these 4l60 transmissions. GM no long licences this fluid ..because it is defective ....

good luck it is a nice ride .

danielsatur
10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Consider changing fluids, brake, coolant, and power steering.

happydog500
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Thank you for the info. I haven't bought it yet. He asked if I was interested, hoping a friend would buy it before he trys to sell it.
Chris.

buickslipshift
11-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Congrats on a great car, I have owened a 91 and a 96 Caprice and they are fantastik, make sure on the coolant that you mix it properly, and the right stuff this engine is reverse flow cooling and is very sensitive to weak mixture, it will cause engine to overheat, I learned that the hard way. Other than that You will be quite happy, take good care of it and it will see you trough years and miles of driving enjoyment, I miss mine.

Add your comment to this topic!