2002 Alero cranking, not starting..

exitRooster
10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I saw there was a simliar post, well kind of on this just recently, but the symptoms were vasyly different, so I thought I should create a new topic.

I have an Alero that for the past 5 starts 'took awhile', say 10 seconds to start. I knew an issue was looming, but literally have all of $10 in the bank, figured it was a vacuum line or something.. Figured this because after it would start, maybe it would take two attempts that first time, but when I shut it off and waited a minute, it would start right back up. If it sat for an hour or so, would take say, 5 seconds.. Times best guesstimation of course.

This morning, it will not start at all. Cranks and cranks till safety shutoff feature stops it from cranking.. I wait a few minutes, try again, same thing. No smell of gas.

Now the other post similar someone recommended the fuel pump. Any way to verify/check if it's that without ripping it out of the tank? (I'm assuming from working on my other Olds that the pump is in the tank). I have a meter and not afraid to use it - What I can't do is drop the tank, nor afford to take it to a shop as I'd have to pay for it to be towed, and the shop fees, neither, as mentioned above, can I afford at the moment. But I can diagnose the crap out of it, I just need to know what and where to check. Please help.. Thanks,

e_R

D Ryan
10-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I saw there was a simliar post, well kind of on this just recently, but the symptoms were vasyly different, so I thought I should create a new topic.

I have an Alero that for the past 5 starts 'took awhile', say 10 seconds to start. I knew an issue was looming, but literally have all of $10 in the bank, figured it was a vacuum line or something.. Figured this because after it would start, maybe it would take two attempts that first time, but when I shut it off and waited a minute, it would start right back up. If it sat for an hour or so, would take say, 5 seconds.. Times best guesstimation of course.

This morning, it will not start at all. Cranks and cranks till safety shutoff feature stops it from cranking.. I wait a few minutes, try again, same thing. No smell of gas.

Now the other post similar someone recommended the fuel pump. Any way to verify/check if it's that without ripping it out of the tank? (I'm assuming from working on my other Olds that the pump is in the tank). I have a meter and not afraid to use it - What I can't do is drop the tank, nor afford to take it to a shop as I'd have to pay for it to be towed, and the shop fees, neither, as mentioned above, can I afford at the moment. But I can diagnose the crap out of it, I just need to know what and where to check. Please help.. Thanks,

e_R

I would start with the crank sensor, simple, and fast to do! Its done with the meter set to AC volts, its a analog signal. Those wires connected to it get melted alot on the exhause, or ground to it.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/crankshaft_position_sensors/crank_cam_sensors_1.php

exitRooster
10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Nope, no meltage :( Working a fuel pump theory (see my other thread regarding fuel pump relay pinout), as I checked the Schrader valve (fuel pressure relief valve) and it was pretty much bone dry, slight 'hiss', no fuel at all..

Had another post going about checking the relay to verify it was good, turns out, via relay swap, there was no change, meaning the pump just isn't pumping. As mentioned on the other post, luckily there's a handy fuel pump replacement guide posted in the pinned section, so, minus dealing with a full tank of gas, I guess my next project has been revealed to me.

Hllrzr70
02-08-2011, 03:38 AM
I have been dealing with an 01 2.4l alero coupe with similar problems.
Just TODAY I stopped at a store went back to the car and nothing, cranked, no start. I could hear an intermitant clicking noise under the dash in the passenger side coming from the control moduale located there. As I had no tools with me and was mad as hell at getting stuck in front of 7-11 I ripped the panel off that covered the moduale and pulled it out where I could see it clearly. I had heard about moisture affecting the connections on these things. I pulled each of the three plugs off and blew them out then crammed them back in place. The car started next try. Tomorrow I'll thoroughly clean the Plugs and terminals with electronic cleaner and see if it doesn't happen again. You can at least try this as it cost $0 and takes 5 mins. If your security light is flashing and the car won't start then it's the "passlock" feature. Just let it sit for 10 mins then try again.

Add your comment to this topic!