Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Extended Life Motor Oil

GregGP
10-26-2010, 08:52 PM
It's about time for an oil change on my grand prix, and I was curious to see if anyone has used that extended life oil.. Mobil 1 claims that the 'extended performance' oil of theirs is good for 15,000 miles. Is there any truth to this??

danielsatur
10-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Anytime you use extended life oil, make sure you check your oil weekly!

tblake
10-27-2010, 02:04 AM
And use a decent filter. WIX, Mobil1,.....

GregGP
10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
So you guys think the oil would actually be good enough to leave in there that long? And how do you think the 'oil life computer' would be affected?

danielsatur
10-27-2010, 06:24 PM
You probably could get away with just changing the oil filter every 5k miles.
If you want to run your car Greener for more than 7years/100K Miles, see
http://www.ideabuyer.com/ipavail/acme-emissions-filter

10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
So you guys think the oil would actually be good enough to leave in there that long? And how do you think the 'oil life computer' would be affected?

Oil life is determined based on many parameters, but the most importan ones are: engine rpm, engine starting and shutting off temperatures. However, I don't think that there is sensor that will measure the actual quality of used engine oil, so maybe somewhere between 4000-6000 your engine oil life will show 0% depending where and how you drive.

GregGP
10-27-2010, 07:24 PM
That's what I was thinking 3100.. And as far as being 'green' goes, I'm not concerned about it. I was just curious if anyone had used that kind of oil before. I'll leave being green to the prius drivers!:grinyes:

tblake
10-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I didn't say that per say...

I said that if you do decide to not change your oil for an extended period of time, to make sure to use a good filter.

The decision to run longer than 3-4k off an oil change is up to you. I know for sure that I wont. Its a cheap way to keep your motor in good shape and stay awar of internal engine issues like coolant contamination.

GTP Dad
10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't want to get into a pi--ing match here concerning extended oil drain intervals. However, with new metalergy and better quality oils, especially synthetic, I see nothing wrong with extended life oil. I have used Mobil 1 and run it for 10K miles without changing it and had no ill effects on the engine. I also have used Amsoil (which I prefer) for one year intervals and I have gotten excellent results.

As tblake says you must use a good quality filter. The filter is probably more important than the oil itself. Wix makes an excellent filter. I don't recommend the orange can of death (Fram) or other cheap filters especially if you intend to wait 10-15K miles before changing.

GregGP
10-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks again Tblake.. I wasn't really planning on it either (at least not in my car) I was just curious. I wouldn't be able to trust it anymore after about 4K.

GregGP
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't want to get into a pi--ing match here concerning extended oil drain intervals. However, with new metalergy and better quality oils, especially synthetic, I see nothing wrong with extended life oil. I have used Mobil 1 and run it for 10K miles without changing it and had no ill effects on the engine. I also have used Amsoil (which I prefer) for one year intervals and I have gotten excellent results.

As tblake says you must use a good quality filter. The filter is probably more important than the oil itself. Wix makes an excellent filter. I don't recommend the orange can of death (Fram) or other cheap filters especially if you intend to wait 10-15K miles before changing.

A YEAR?? Wow, that's pretty impressive! I don't think I could do it though.. Out of idle curiousity though, where do you buy Amsoil? I have heard lots about it, but I have never seen it..

tblake
10-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah, my g/f just signed the truck and her car up on the valvoline 250k engine life guarentee. I just missed the 125k mile interval with my car. The stipulations include that you have to use valvoline from the point of signing up and continuously throughout the life of your car. And you have to save all the valvoline receipts for proof. Another stipulation is that you have to change your oil between 3000-4000 mile intervals, no exceptions and you have to go online and update when you change. If you go past 4000 miles, I think it voids the warrenty. It stated that the 3000-4000 k change interval as stated in the owners manaul is only for driving in extreme conditions. Which the valvoline website says is what the majority of drivers fall into. Obviously they are in it to sell oil and make money, but I've maybe went past 4k miles once on a change of oil, and even at or a little before 3k miles, my oil comes out black and used up. So I change regularily.

doctorhrdware
10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Amsoil is usually sold at independent auto parts stores. At least in my area around me.

danielsatur
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
How much does it cost for 5 quarts of Amsoil?

BNaylor
10-29-2010, 06:39 AM
How many miles do you have on your Grand Prix GregGP?

I would exercise caution switching to synthetic from dino oil with a high mileage engine or using extended performance synthetic. Many reports from SII 3800 owners about higher oil consumption and screwed up valve stem seals as a result and various seals or gaskets leaking due to old age, etc.

For a daily driver I'd stay with good quality dino oil. Most are good up to at least 5K miles now. Thats all I use in my non-modded Grand Prixs and other GM cars. I use regular Mobil 1 synthetic in my GTP.

GTP Dad
10-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Amsoil is also available on-line at Amsoil.com. Different grades of the oil cost more or less depending on the grade. I just purchased the signature 0W-30 for my son's jeep. The oil was $9.95 per quart and the filter was around 15 dollars. Total oil change cost was about $80.

GregGP
10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
How many miles do you have on your Grand Prix GregGP?

I would exercise caution switching to synthetic from dino oil with a high mileage engine or using extended performance synthetic. Many reports from SII 3800 owners about higher oil consumption and screwed up valve stem seals as a result and various seals or gaskets leaking due to old age, etc.

For a daily driver I'd stay with good quality dino oil. Most are good up to at least 5K miles now. Thats all I use in my non-modded Grand Prixs and other GM cars. I use regular Mobil 1 synthetic in my GTP.

Just turned 140,000 miles. I have switched it to synthetic already; I notice a little bit of a leak, but not much at all. What's the best dino oil to use? Or should I switch it back now?

BNaylor
10-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Just turned 140,000 miles. I have switched it to synthetic already; I notice a little bit of a leak, but not much at all. What's the best dino oil to use? Or should I switch it back now?

Since you switched to synthetic oil with minimal issues then best to stay with the synthetic but not the extended version unless you feel safe going long intervals between oil changes. I'm not comfortable with that and replace the Mobil 1 in my GTP annually, regardless. Synthetic oils have special conditioners for the gaskets and seals and it sounds like yours worked out fine. The gaskets will leak sooner or later even with dino. :runaround:

GregGP
10-30-2010, 09:42 PM
OK. Sounds good. Thanks again guys, I appreciate the insight.

Add your comment to this topic!