Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blower Switch

mikeso_81
10-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi,

When I turn my heat or ac on, the blower switch only works on 3, 4, or 5. For some reason, setting 1 or 2 does not work. Is the switch bad or something else? Any ideas?

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8

Thx

olopezm
10-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Is you have a manual control your blower motor resistor might be on it's way out, when it goes bad the motor will only work at the highest speed. It is located on the blower motor right under the dash at the passenger side, it is adviced to take out the passenger seat in order to make more room to work.

Best regards,

Oscar.

doctorhrdware
10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
When the resistor on my 97 GP SE went out it lost 1 and 2 first. I bought the first replacement from GM first, then it went out again. So I bought the second resistor from Advanced auto. It was an exact replacement. But the motor lead on the first resistor that I bought from a Pontiac dealer was too short. One thing I would do is to remove the passenger front seat it will make it much easier to replace the blower motor resistor.

mikeso_81
10-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Could it possibly be the control switch itself that went bad? I was originally going to just replace the switch but noticed that 97-00 and 01-03 have slightly different panels. The 01-03 do not sell a replacement and I do not want to just start replacing parts.

I was reading somewhere online that it could be the ignition switch?

grandprixgtx00
10-26-2010, 08:21 PM
The blower motor resistor is a very common problem on the 97-03 GP's and I would be willing to bet it is your problem. Classic symptoms of a bad resistor. As suggested, change the resistor. I wouldn't jump into something as big/expensive as the ignition harness right away, even though it is another common problem on the 97-03 GP.

mikeso_81
11-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I just replaced the resistor today and now my 1 and 2 settings work. Replacing the piece was not an easy job but I got it done. Thank you everybody for your assistance.

doctorhrdware
11-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I just replaced the resistor today and now my 1 and 2 settings work. Replacing the piece was not an easy job but I got it done. Thank you everybody for your assistance.

Thanks for letting us know that you got your problem fixed.

Add your comment to this topic!