Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Your two cents . . . .

Trio3b
10-25-2010, 11:55 AM
'99 Camaro 3.8 V6 116k miles. Think a bearing turned (maybe) Just started yesterday. Pretty sure rod knocking and ticking in the upper end. Car runs, no smoke . oil pressure 60 running to 40 when idling. Either way it's not good. Debating whether to dump car or get a rebuilt /new engine. Will not be buying new, just another used vehicle. Just want to see if I'm thinking this thru properly:

Pros to keeping car:

1. Interior / exterior in excellent condition
2. Tranny recently serviced - he said it looked good
3. I know I'll have a new motor
4. I can't stand car shopping
5. Might get someone else's problem if I buy another used vehicle
6. Mechanic (who I trust) wants $2500 to $3000 / will give 3 yr 100k mi. warranty

Con's to keeping car:

1. gas gauge doesn't work but we've figured out a routine so no biggie
2. No one can shut off the check engine light. It has been traced several times to the cat converter. (it has all new O2 sensors/ heaters etc. ). I've been told by several shops and exhaust shops that the only way to fix is either put in a $1000 OEM cat or buy an after market cat every couple years just before inspection time. I have an IOU with the muffler shop to put in a new after market cat due to the old one "failing codes" within warranty so I WILL get a new cat out of it. If not I can tolerate a new $200 aftermarket cat very 2-3 years.

Kid likes the car. And did I mention dad doesn't like shopping?
Any thoughts?

Thanks

wrightz28
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
My 2 cents.........

As a fellow dad, seeing the relatively low mileage on it, I'd be going to the store, grabbing a case of beer to consume while I sit om my tookus and 'supervise' the lad replace the engine that it sounds like was neglected. 3.8's are pretty good motors and can last a long long time, again, kind of low miles on it. :2cents:

Trio3b
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
My 2 cents.........

As a fellow dad, seeing the relatively low mileage on it, I'd be going to the store, grabbing a case of beer to consume while I sit om my tookus and 'supervise' the lad replace the engine that it sounds like was neglected. 3.8's are pretty good motors and can last a long long time, again, kind of low miles on it. :2cents:

Thanks. I'm going to go over to engines forum and see if we can replace the crank with a reman w/matched set of bearings. Also going to see if this can be done with engine in car.

I realize this is very high risk but seeing as how the engine is considered "shot" anyway, what more damage can I do? I'm exploring all options as finances are not good right now. I figure IF I can get to the crank from under and if the bearing was not cheese grated and spread throughout the engine and that the offending rod surface was not egged I would be willing to risk a couple hundred $$ and two weekends to try a reman crank. Compared to $3000 for a new motor . . I am thinking.. . but those are a lot of IFs . . . . but the vehicle was only driven about 20 mi. after the knock started and we kept it below 2k RPM. Maybe I got lucky.

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!