Vats Security system

scotts96gt
10-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Has anyone attempted to replace the wiring harness in a 99 century for the security system in the steering column? I have an intermittent short which wont allow me to start the car..(usually only happens when i drive it and move the column up and down when i get in and out which my wife does not generally do) You can fiddle with the column up and starts back up after a few tries. I used to wait the 3 mins for the system to reset until i determined that it made no difference if i waited 3 mins or 30 seconds as long as i moved the column up and down it would start up.. My concern is that it will only get worse and from what i hear tracking down a short in those wires is almost impossible. Any suggestions? or is it even a possibility to just replace the wires in the column?

Blue Bowtie
10-26-2010, 12:31 AM
The VATS (PassKey) harness has two very fine wires connected to the ignition lock cylinder, and these rotate with the cylinder every time the key is moved. This is a fairly common failure point, and the only sure way to repair it is to replace the wires all the way to the bottom of the steering column.

You may be digging into the steering column soon:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/VATSKeyCylinderView.jpg

scotts96gt
10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Thats what I had figured! Any ideas where i could get those wires or any suggestions as to how i should go about replacing them? Do I have to pull the steering wheel off the column or can i get to those wires some other way?

scotts96gt
12-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Well guys after digging into my steering column and under dash wiring i have discovered a couple interesting things... The shop that installed my Viper remote start did a very shoddy job at bypassing the security system. The series of resistors to simulate the key were just twisted together a couple turns and not soldered. The Wires from the ignition switch were cut completely therefore the entire lock was bypassed with the resistors. Which leads me to my problem....The car will start both with the key and remote start with no resistor pack installed. Of all the problems to have, not having one! So the only thing that seems to be the weak link now is the BCM. Any ideas about reflashing the BCM and if anyone knows who can do it in the Oakland county Michigan area? The reason im thinking the problem is here is because we have been having problems with the security system ever since i had to jump start my 92 century several times last year which itself had electrical issues and may have caused a spike to my 99

Add your comment to this topic!