Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New to 4X4ing

Servicetech
10-23-2010, 06:43 PM
I just recently purchased a 2001 Cherokee. This is my first 4X4. I cannot get my hands on an owners manual for it (tried every boneyard in the area). Everything on the vehicle is self-explanatory except for operating the 4-wheel drive. The markings by the lever are 2, 4H, N and 4L. I haven't tried playing with it because I'm afraid I may blow something. Can anybody explain the markings and how to safely shift between ranges or just point me to an appropriate web site? Thanks!!

fredjacksonsan
10-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Servicetech, Welcome to AF and the world of Cherokees. Almost everyone that's owned one loves their Cherokee.

Basically, 2 is your basic 2wd, the front wheels are free and the power goes to the rear.

4H is High range 4wd. Same gear ratios as 2, but the front axles get power also. The front and rear are locked together in the transfer case, so this should not be used on dry pavement, or anywhere else where there's a lot of traction. According to the owner's manual you can shift at any speed up to 55mph.

N is neutral, in between the 4wd settings. You should put it in neutral if you will be towing the vehicle with wheels on the ground. Note: if you have the TC (transfer case) in Neutral, then if your vehicle is in Park or in gear (you didn't say if it's manual or automatic) it will roll if the brake is not set.

4L is Low Range. Basically about 2.6:1, so your engine speed will be almost 3x as fast as it would be in 2 or 4H. To shift here, put the trans in neutral while coasting at 3-5mph. Then in one smooth pull, move the TC lever from 4H through N and into 4L. You'll probably hear some gear clunk or noise when you do this, but it's normal.

There's a more detailed thread here, (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=980080) just ignore the Full Time 4wd part since that feature isn't found on Cherokees; but the information is the same.

Oh, a couple things....when shifting into or out of 4wd, make sure you're going in a straight line. If you're cornering it may not engage.

Also, Jeeps like fresh fluid. So if you have an automatic transmission, drop the transmission pan, change the filter and refill with fresh fluid at least every 50K or so. I do mine every 30k. Transfer case fluid every 50K also. Normal engine oil changes I'm sure you know about. Spark plugs every 30k will help keep you away from hard starting or rough running engine; although they can go further, you'll really notice a difference at 30k, in both smoothness and probably mpg too.

Again, Welcome and feel free to post up if you have any further questions.

Servicetech
10-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Thank you!! That was very helpful.

fredjacksonsan
10-23-2010, 08:28 PM
My pleasure. One other note - it's good for any 4wd system to be shifted in and out of 4wd periodically. Once a month we take ours at least down a dirt road for 1/2 mile to shift in and out of all the configurations.

Enjoy!

LittleHoov
10-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Full-Time 4wd WAS found on Cherokees and I dont mean Grand Cherokees, I mean the little boxy ones that we know and love.

During its run from 84-01 the Cherokee had a total of 5 different transfer cases (though never that many at the same time). 3 of which had a full-time setting.

It doesnt really matter for this particular instance, because the original poster does not have a full-time option, but thats because he has a NP-231 case, the NP-242 which was also available at the time has a separate full-time option which can be used any time anywhere, including dry pavement.

I only bring it up because my Cherokee has full-time 4wd :)

fredjacksonsan
10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Full-Time 4wd WAS found on Cherokees and I dont mean Grand Cherokees, I mean the little boxy ones that we know and love.

During its run from 84-01 the Cherokee had a total of 5 different transfer cases (though never that many at the same time). 3 of which had a full-time setting.

It doesnt really matter for this particular instance, because the original poster does not have a full-time option, but thats because he has a NP-231 case, the NP-242 which was also available at the time has a separate full-time option which can be used any time anywhere, including dry pavement.

I bow to your better knowledge.

LittleHoov
10-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Haha, Im not trying to sound smart or anything, I just think its important to have correct information.

Id hate for some new person to read this and tear up something, or get stuck, or have an accident because they didnt know and then understand the difference between full and part-time 4wd, and when and why to use them, etc.

Have fun out there!

fredjacksonsan
10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Haha, Im not trying to sound smart or anything, I just think its important to have correct information.

No sweat, didn't think that at all....just the OP told us he has the part time case...

Id hate for some new person to read this and tear up something, or get stuck, or have an accident because they didn't know and then understand the difference between full and part-time 4wd, and when and why to use them, etc.

Have fun out there!

Good point.

AutoDude80
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM

I have a Cherokee, you know the box kind and you knew more information then I did, lol. I have another question though.. Can I equip my car with HID?? It's a 1998 Jeep Cherokee.

Add your comment to this topic!