Manual to electric fan?

mybad_z71
10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I have my 97 gmc z71 and am thinking about replacing the loud manual fan with an electic fan. anyone have any idea as to what size id need (CFM) and where i can get one?

MT-2500
10-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Best to put up with a little noise.
Electric fans can be a pain to install and get them working right.
I have never heard one make much noise unless the fan clutch is bad or locked up.
Is the noise on it more than usual?
Noise cold or hot or all time?

j cAT
10-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I have my 97 gmc z71 and am thinking about replacing the loud manual fan with an electic fan. anyone have any idea as to what size id need (CFM) and where i can get one?

If you have no overheating issues the fan noises may be from the fan shroud. make sure its there and secure. bent fan ???

where you live if its very hot most times electric fans can fail. the fan you have is more reliable.

the correct fan motors use high amps . you would need a large alternator , 30amps or more.

make sure the radiator/condenser external is clean and free from restrictions .

corsair-pilot
10-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi.
I also live in Peoria Az, and have 1996 K1500. And yes the fan is loud when it's pulling air.
Remember it's 115 here in the summer. If you are not having heating issues now, why mess with it?
Yes some new GM trucks use electric fan's But I think just the 4.8 and 5.3??
I never have heating problems with my truck even with 155k on the original engine.
Dale

Elbert
10-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Stay with your stock OEM radiator fan and fan clutch.

jdmccright
10-31-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with keeping the stock fan. I don't like the roar it makes either, but a good electric setup can cost $500 or more for the fan, controller, and bigger alternator, and it won't improve performance any. The noise does fade away once the clutch warms up. If it doesn't, then it may be due for replacement.

Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!