Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine swapping.....HELP!

molai
05-21-2003, 06:21 AM
i want to swap a rb20det with my rb20de into my r32 gts.... is it a straight forward swap? the things i have are...motor, turbo, intercooler, all piping, computers for engine and transmission, large brake booster and wiring looms and exhaust from motor to tip..... do i need anything else? all i have to do is just a straight swap and a bit of wiring here and there? hlep much appreciated...

RazorGTR
05-21-2003, 12:14 PM
I would think about upgrading the fuel pump.

If you motor is complete then you already have the fuel pressure regulator and injectors so that would be a bonus. Does you GTS have HICAS? If not and you are using the factory GTS-t ecu you could have a fault that comes up.

I see you mentioned "computers". If your current GTS has an auto in it kiss that good bye. It will die very fast. Also if you have a manual do not attmept to upgrade or extract any extra power out of that GTS-t motor as the GTS 5speed is bloody weak as.

At some stage I would also suggest looking for a complete diff assembly since your GTS will have an open diff. Once you change that you will have a 5 stud rear with 4 stud front so you might as well look for someone parting out a GTS-t so you can get the front hub assemblys. The list goes on. I know of a few that have done it and it is a bit of a mission but the were happy at the end of the day.

molai
05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
so, u r saying that the gts car is too weak to handle more power from a gtst motor? and yes, my gts is an automatic... the car which the gtst engine came from is also an automatic...will the computer die?
there are so much things to change... but at the moment, i will just change the engine...
so, all i need is to do is upgrade the fuel pump at some stage after the engine has been swapped? will it run ok if i just do that?
cheers razor for ur help.

Nemesis
05-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Try and get the auto trans from the DET engine also.... the GTS one will die really quick. The ECU for it won't be affected tho.
As for the brakes, don't stress too much about them as non type M's had the same brakes as the GTS anyway....

Being honest, it's probably cheaper to seel your car and get a GTSt, unless you wanna put something like a 25DET in it.....

molai
05-23-2003, 12:00 PM
yes, i think thats what i will do... just buy a gtst,,, thanks guys for ur help

Add your comment to this topic!