Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need to Push on Gas For my 2.4 to Start

oneroundko
10-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Is this a fuel pump? My car is at 122k and I've had it since 85k five years ago. It's been a champ and I've only had to replace the starter, which I did several months ago. I have not changed the fule filter yet, but now I must push on the gas when cranking for it to turn over, and then it idles fine and runs fine. Could this be a fuel pump? Should I get a diagnostic?

Helmuth48
10-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes...they can also check the Fuel Pump Pressure....

HannabilRox
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
A TPS sensor fixed that issue with my Cavalier.

oneroundko
11-08-2010, 03:44 PM
A TPS sensor fixed that issue with my Cavalier.

I'll have to look into that. In about a month and a half it's going to be like 5 degrees outside here in MN, so I know I gotta get the Cav all prepped for the harsh winter.

oneroundko
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Haha. Finally got it. I was beating around the bush for the last couple months because I was finishing my degree and drinking like crazy but I finally pinpointed the problem. It was a fuel pressure regulator. I was quoted at $98 for the part and $70 for labor, so I figured I'd do it myself.

The part was $50 at both AutoZone and O'Reilly. I would like to say it was an easy install - and it sort of was - but I installed it two times - both with minor leaks - before I finally got it right. It's a small piece and is accesible with relatively little movement of engine parts.

Anyway, thought I'd post to help any others who might have this problem in the future. :)

Helmuth48
01-28-2011, 07:11 PM
It is about time.. Mate...have a cold tinny on me...Good Job...Cheers !!!

oneroundko
01-28-2011, 07:50 PM
It is about time.. Mate...have a cold tinny on me...Good Job...Cheers !!!

No kidding mate. :) Actually, I would have a cold one on you, but I just got out of treatment! Just glad I got my baby back in good order for the time being. :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!