navigation on a non navigation ls.

js1992
10-21-2010, 01:50 AM
hello all. wanted to explore the options of swapping my current radio and CD player for a 2003 original Lincoln navigation system that i already bought did not come with anything but the head unit. if anyone out here has successfully made this upgrade, depth of involvement and of course cost. and second my car has the usual coil problems, changed all six coils and plugs, but failed to change the valve covers as i did find oil on coils. which i will change, but wanted to ask if this 03 model year also has the PVC elbow that i read in alot of the threads here as i still get P2195 codes on and off. any picture schematics, wiring diagrams, for the radio swap and if anyone can send me a pdf file on how to get to this elbow. email.... jimmy0003@gmail.com

Thank you all in advance.

gcwimmer
10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Not a plug and play swap, two different systems, would requirer a lot of rewiring better off with an after market unit.

2nd gen LS doesn't have a PVC valve.

joegr
10-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Not a plug and play swap, two different systems, would requirer a lot of rewiring better off with an after market unit.

2nd gen LS doesn't have a PVC valve.

Wrong.
Both generations of the V6 LS have the PCV valve and elbow.
Neither generations of the V8 LS have a PCV vavle.

joegr
10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
To add factory navigation, you need...

The head unit.
The DVD navigation unit (mounts in trunk, head unit is dead without it).
Map DVD (about $200 for a recent one).
A different rear view mirror (the voice command microphone is built into the mirror).
A four channel amplifier for the door speakers (the nav headunit has no amplifier, unlike the non-nav headunits).
New speakers for the doors, the nav speakers are slightly different.
You'll need subwoofers and a subwoofer amp if you have the base sound system now.
The navigation steering wheel (the radio buttons are different for the nav option).
A whole bunch of wiring harnesses to make it work. (Note that even though the connectors going to your non-nav unit will plug into the nav headunit, the pinout is mostly different, and won't work at all.)

It'll be much much less work to install aftermarket instead. You can use the face plate (with some modifications) from the headunit you bought with whatever aftermarket system you pick.

gcwimmer
10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Wrong.
Both generations of the V6 LS have the PCV valve and elbow.
Neither generations of the V8 LS have a PCV vavle.

I should have clarified myself, I have a tendency to think 2nd gen V8 since that is what I own.

danielsatur
10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Consider a new Cell phone Droid X with Apps, were you got a play list and GPS.

js1992
10-22-2010, 12:43 AM
cool, thank you all for your replies, yes it does sounds like an after market unit will be more cost effective, now i just need to get rid of this unit. any one out there interested in buying it? that is if you already have the proper setup and need a replacement head unit. :crying:

Add your comment to this topic!