Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cam Shaft question.

Tony Silva
10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey, I just bought a 1991 GT convertible for a thousand dollars. I got it smogged and licensed. The top is new and the car runs good. I got it so cheaply because I bought it from a broke tweaker in Oroville, Ca. Anyhow. the car has lots of little things wrong with it...hence the $1,000 purchase price. Now, to the cam shaft question. This is the very first ford I've ever messed with and I have a cam shaft that my cousin gave to me and I am wondering if it is compatible with this all stock 1991 5.0 convertible GT with 5 speed manual transmission. The cam is Comp Cams # fs-280h-10...I also got the lifters and timing chain set. All parts are used. Would this cam be good for a street car or is the 10 degree lobe seperation too much for the street? I plan on giving this car to my nephew for for his 18th birthday/christmas present... I got about 2 months to make this car gift worthy. Any info and opinions on this cam in a stock 1991 5.0 would be greatly appreciated. I can also get a GT40 intake and heads off a wrecked explorer.

Schaff68
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
the 280h is alittle to bit of a miss match to put in a stock 91 lx engine, if i remember right, itsa straight up cam, meaning it has the same lift on intake and exhaust sides
and i believe the old 280h cam is the older 302 firing order. plus there will be a big lack of vacum because of it being a 10 degree lobe sep cam. its just a old style hot cam made for 289/302 firing order.
your lx has better lifters in it now, you have hydraulic roller liftersso why switch to reg hydraulic lifters. the timing chain set would be alright, if you own a degree wheel, some ford engines had 4 to 6 degrees of retard in the timing sets and/or cams, thatswhy a start up cam and timing chain set really wakes up some of the old fords.
if i were you, leave the cam and other internals in the engine, unless they are worn out.
if you can get the gt40 heads and intake from the wrecked explorer, get the cam, lifts, and timing chain set from it, make sure to get the upper and lower intake plus the mass airflow sensor , and make sure you get the gt40 injectors and fuel regulator
then you should havea pretty decent set up.

Add your comment to this topic!