1996 centruy wont shift out of 1st

RagingK
10-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a 1996 Buick Century with a 3.1 L that will not shift out of 1st,. We went to the store (two stop signs there one stop sign back) it shifted fine there and leaving the store,.. at the stop sign i took off and it wouldn't shift out of 1st,.. my g/f drove the car the next day as she didn't know that it wouldn't shift out of 1st (not far, only about 3 blocks) after that it set up for about a week, then we changed the filter and fluid,.. (then i drove it for about 3 - 4 blocks) changing the fluid/filter didn't help anything (there was no metal shavings in the pan) ,.. it set up for about two more weeks then i changed the modulator,.. drove it for about 2 blocks and it still wouldn't shift out of 1st,. 1 week later (Friday) we took it trans shop,. they put it on the computer thay it said there was no "codes" they told me they don't know whats wrong with it,. said they would have to go in to it to see and that would cost $$. i was hoping there might be something else i could try that wouldn't cost a arm and a leg =P.
Thanks Chris

maxwedge
10-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Vacuum to the modulator ok?

RagingK
10-18-2010, 08:48 AM
yes, i'v checked this before but i just went out and rechecked it,.. made sure eater of the two rubber connectors and metal line was not stopped up, and the vacuum port is sucking (when i unplug the hose for the modulator the car dies)

Silverdragon7137
10-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey, I know the post is old but in case other people are hunting for an answer, check the throttle position sensor. If the arm is broken or the something internal is, it will still send a signal to the cars computer, but one that makes it think your not accelerating :headshake. It's weird, but it happened to me when I replaced mine with a faulty one. So replace it, they're not expensive and it's a very easy job that only requires basic tools.

Add your comment to this topic!