Slight Popping Noise in Exhaust at Idle

blk95lumina
10-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello.
I have a 98 accord V-tech 4cyl. w/ ~133K mi.
I noticed a slight popping noise in the exhaust when the car is sitting at warm idle. As soon as you give it a little throttle, the noise immediately goes away and stays away for a couple minutes and then returns. It does not sound like an exhaust leak, and if it was a leak, I would assume the noise would get louder with more throttle, but this is not the case.

I recently replaced the catalytic conv. (w/ a cheap aftermarket) and there have not been any trouble codes thrown since. Since there are no codes, I would think the noise is unrelated to the new cat. The noise seems to be coming from the first, small muffler under the the car, located before the main muffler at the rear.

I also thought it could possibly be a slight amount of raw fuel making its way into the exhaust and then igniting, but I recently replaced the plugs and wires with factory Honda parts. The distributor cap and rotor were replaced about 15K mi ago with some basic Autozone parts.

What could be causing the slight popping noise in the exhaust at warm idle?

Thanks.

jeffcoslacker
10-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I just commented on your other thread...if this is the same car, I suspect it's related. Let me think about this a bit...

blk95lumina
10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
jeffcoslacker,
it is the same car. Thanks in advance for any advice.

blk95lumina
10-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Hello.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!