Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P0305 Code Trouble

rimfire,22
10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello to all,

If you few people remember me a couple weeks ago I noted my engine trouble light came on idicating a P0305 code has arisen.

I had a chance for the dealership to look at it and after an hour and a half he told me the no. 5 cylinder has low compression with only 85K miles of the odometer. My question is can low compression cause the P0305 code to activate on my panel???? I had thought the code indicated the cylinder mis-fire???? Still isn't my trouble be caused by the coil pack???? Well they didn't say.

Can you guys tell me what it can be done. I intende to have another opinion done by another mechanic. Any imput would help rest my nerves. All this occured about a week after I added a bottle of umout/Regain gas additive. Is this too much of a coincidense??? I have an 01' Durango 4.7 liter V-8 engine.

Help!!!:runaround:

rimfire,22

98SableGS
10-21-2010, 10:27 PM
When is the last time your spark plugs and coil packs were changed. I have a 2002 with a 4.7 L and I just changed all 8 spark plugs and most of them were very loose. Make sure before you take the spark plug out to blow out any junk with an air compressor. Don't want that junk getting in the motor. I would start with the plug and coil pack first, not so expensive and you can do it yourself.

Does your Durango use motor oil?

I have never put any additive in my gas.

rimfire,22
10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
When is the last time your spark plugs and coil packs were changed. I have a 2002 with a 4.7 L and I just changed all 8 spark plugs and most of them were very loose. Make sure before you take the spark plug out to blow out any junk with an air compressor. Don't want that junk getting in the motor. I would start with the plug and coil pack first, not so expensive and you can do it yourself.

Does your Durango use motor oil?

I have never put any additive in my gas.

98SableGS,

Thank you for your reply to my delima!

First of all acording the the mechanic the spark plugs needed to be changed way back in early January-February so I know those are current. The "coil packs" have never been changed and so these are the factory origionals that came with the truck since bought new.

Tomorrow Saturday I'm taking my truck to another mechanic as I paid the dealership $102 to diagnose the problem and he said my no. 5 cylinder compression is too low to fire the plugs. However he opted to me to bring it back another day for service so when I started the truck everything worked good!! I mean the engine ran smooth and strong throughtout the whole day without a hitch AND the CEL light never came on during my drive of 50-75 miles to do and errand. The evenin whas a whole different story as the issue came back when going out to dinner.

When I talk to the mechanic I will ask him to once again replace the spark plugs again as theirs a possibility the one for the no. 5 bank is bad. To be sure I want all 8 replaced. In addition I will insist the "coil pack" for the same cylinder will be replaced with a new set and with any hope everything will be fine afterwards. If everything goes my way then I can LOL a little and ponder how stupid:banghead::screwy: the Chrysler dealership can be.

This truck has been ultra reliable since bought new and the only real CEL issue I had was when the o2 sensor went south. After that it runs like a top until now. Cross your fingers on my behalf cuz this is all I don't need at this time of the year.

rimfire,22

Add your comment to this topic!