92 K1500 Transfer case/4x4 issues. HELP!!

hunter4ever12
10-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Alright so it all began with a strange scraping noise coming from my transfer case(before this happened tho i had a 4x4 issue, it was hard to get into 4 high and would bind up and once i did get it in it took it a while to actually engage). So I ended up taking the oil check plug out and it was low, so i took the plug out below that and little to no oil came out :frown:....so ended up putting oil back in it, i put gear oil instead of ATF (due to running it breifly with no oil i figured gear oil would be better for it) The noise went away and it shifted easily into 4hi and when i shifted it into 4 high it engaged and the light came on right away. Well i was messing with the 4 wheel drive today and the same problem has popped up, its hard to shift into 4 high and when shifted into 4 hi it takes probably 5 or 6 secs to actually engage once i drive. I havent checked the oil level in it yet but I know its not leaking externally. It should not be leaking internally into the tranny either cuz i just rebuilt the tranny and replaced the seals(allthough the kickdown cable seal on the tranny does leak...dono if that relevant or not) So I dono what the deal is, i dono where the fluid is going and i dono why the 4x4 is acting up. Any help at this point will be greatly appreciated

MT-2500
10-16-2010, 06:58 AM
You need to get the transmission dexron fluid back in it and see if you can find leak.
Is your tires matched up?
Will it go into and out of 4W good in neutral or with truck rolling back or forward?
Any noise from transfer case.
Is shifter linkage and lever moving free and adjusted good?

hunter4ever12
10-16-2010, 09:33 PM
You need to get the transmission dexron fluid back in it and see if you can find leak.
Is your tires matched up?
Will it go into and out of 4W good in neutral or with truck rolling back or forward?
Any noise from transfer case.
Is shifter linkage and lever moving free and adjusted good?

Thats the problem there is no leak i can see externally at all.
My tires are matched up running 235 75's
No in nuetral or park its still hard to get into 4x4. It hangs up right before it goes in and you have to pull it pretty hard to get it in.
No noise coming from the transfer case at this time no.
And yes the shifter lever is free moving and should be ajusted right as far as i know.
Also another piece of info that may give a clue is this: I shifted it in to 4x4 and the light didnt come on and 4x4 didnt engage. I drove it forward a little ways and the light began flashing on and off and it was intermitantly going in 4x4 and then coming back out i could feel it "jerking" after that happend it finally did go into 4x4 and stay in though until i took it out.

MT-2500
10-17-2010, 07:32 AM
It may have internal damage from being run low on oil.
Try shifting while truck is moving a little.
I would put the dexron transmission fluid back in it and try it for a while.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck.

hunter4ever12
10-18-2010, 02:48 AM
alright so i put the right fluid back in it and it still has the same problem(probably internal damage all though im hoping its not cuz i dont wanna change the thing out) But on a positive note.....once i shift it into 4x4 and it engages after that shifting in and out is a breeze its just the first initial shift in that gives me problems. Is that signifigant at all to any certain problem?

MT-2500
10-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Did the right fluid help?
If so and it it was mine I would give the New GM Blue transfer case fluid or the GM standard transmission fluid a try out in it.
Not what that one calls for but That may help free it up so you can use it.

You may have internal damage from running low on fluid or wrong fluid or using it on dry payment.

Do not use that type 4W on dry payment.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!