Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Grand Prix stalled.

amc74
10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I just got in my 01 GP 3.8 , started it up and drove about 300 feet and the engine just shut off. The battery light went on and the oil light went on. I managed to pull over, but the car would NOT restart. The engine turned over with what seemed like a strong battery. I need a tow. It has 122000 miles on it. I really havent checked anything yet due to rain but I did scan it and there were NO codes. I figured I would just put this out there and see what kind of reccomendations or ideas on what to look for.
This never happened before. But a few times I started it and it sounded like the timing was off, restarted it and it idled normal.
Any ideas is GREATLY appreciated, Thankyou.

Joe

GTP Dad
10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
There are a couple of possible causes. The first thing is a bad ignition module. If it failed the car would die and it would not restart. The second is a bad crank position sensor. This will not send a signal to the coils to fire if it is bad. The third thing would be a bad fuel pump. They usually don't go bad in the method you state but anything is possible. Before doing anything else try checking for fuel pressure and spark. If you don't have one or the other the car will not run. A simple test is to remove the duct at the throttle body. Have someone crank the car while you spray a small amount of starter fluid into the open throttle body. If the fuel pump is bad it should start. If there is no spark the car won't run at all. Good Luck!

amc74
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks GTP Dad, Crank pos sensor popped into my head after reading other posts on this sight. Would the CPS or a faulty ignition module create a sporadic bad idle upon start-up. It sounded like a helicopter. I shut the car off, restarted it and it and it idled fine. Thanks again, I will keep results posted.

Joe

tblake
10-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Unplug the MAF sensor and try to start it that way. If it runs good with the MAF unplugged, its shot.

GTP Dad
10-15-2010, 06:35 PM
A bad ignition module could cause the issue but do what tblake suggests with the MAF sensor and see what happens. I always forget about the MAF but it can also cause the symptoms you have been having with your car.

tblake
10-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey Lynn, Yeah, when mine went bad the first time, the car stalled when I came to stops. When the MAF went bad the second time, the car would not even start.

amc74
10-17-2010, 04:56 PM
The next day I got it started but it was ideling rough. There was a hissing sound coming out by the fule press regulator. Moving the vacuum line at the FPR seemed to make the hissing go awayand idled a little better, however, the exhaust smelled horrible like something burnt or rotten eggs, so I thought maybe the cat converter. In spite of that, it will run but with less acceleration and weak pick-up. It didnt seem to shift when its supposed to. Revved high before it shifted. Changed air filter which was dirty, attempted to change fuel filter but didnt want to snap the fuel since the flare nut was not budging. Im deciding on changing fuel press regulator, since I heard hissing in that area. I dont really want to give it to a meachanic yet. Any thoughtys is GREATLY appreciated and Thankyou.

Joe

tblake
10-18-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd suspect changing the FPR would just be throwing parts at it. I'd check fuel pressure before changing anything in the fuel system. Usually when FPR's fail, gas will shoot out of the vacuum port.

Did you unplug the MAF sensor and try to drive it like that?

Add your comment to this topic!