Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engines - Ford vs GM

knightjp
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
When I ask most people who are mechanics, they claim that GM builds the better engine 'coz its more simpler in design, more powerful and more reliable. But there are the few that claim that Ford's engines are extremely potent despite their smaller size and although appears more complex, is actually equally as reliable.

I was comparing the figures of the 2010 Camaro and 2010 Mustang when you compare the engines, obviously the Camaro beats it with the higher performance figures. It notably understood that its simply because the engine is bigger than that used in the Mustang.

So here is the deal. If GM & Ford built two engines exactly the same size eg.. 5.0 (not a 0.1 added or subtracted, exactly 5.0), which of the two engines would be more powerful and more reliable??

I welcome any replies that can help explain performance figures are calculated.

knightjp
10-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I cannot believe someone doesn't have an opinion on this...

Shpuker
12-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Maybe that cause you NEVER INCLUDE CHRYSLER....... HEMI engines? the early 2000's 4.7L? the old 440 six-pack? Hell the SRT-4 engines were actually quite good, the 90's 5.9L that made the 1998 Grand Cherokee the fastest SUV in the world? (at the time) C'mon man...

But out of those two? GM by far. (Small block Chevy kicks ass)

knightjp
12-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe that cause you NEVER INCLUDE CHRYSLER....... HEMI engines? the early 2000's 4.7L? the old 440 six-pack? Hell the SRT-4 engines were actually quite good, the 90's 5.9L that made the 1998 Grand Cherokee the fastest SUV in the world? (at the time) C'mon man...

But out of those two? GM by far. (Small block Chevy kicks ass)

I like HEMI engines. It was the HEMI that originated the American muscle car lusty exhaust notes.
But while that being said, I found the recent HEMIs to be less powerful than those from GM. Clever.. Yes. Powerful... GM does a better job with the small-block engines.
Another thing is that Chrysler group's engines are rather complicated at times and tend to be a bit problematic from my experience. Over here with the heat and stuff, to be honest, GM and Fords kinda do a better job in terms of maintenance and life-span and durability.

Does that mean people here don't like Mopar??? Nope... I've seen more Challengers here than Camaros... but of course more Mustangs than Challengers... LOL

Add your comment to this topic!