Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical/Starting Problems

gsal86
10-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Lately my 2000 grand prix has had some wierd electrical issues. I took my car to interstate batteries where my battery is from (new in july 2009) and he told me it was not a battery problem. Another battery shop said my alternator was ok as well

So the problem is: it has had a hard time starting up lately i.e. turining over takes about 3-5 seconds before it starts running, and today I was at the store and tried to start it, it lost power before I could hear it turn over. I sat there for about 5 minutes with no power and then power came back and I was able to drive away.

I did replace my ignition switch about 6 weeks ago, I made all the proper connections so my guess is it is not the problem...any help would be great.

Thanks,

tblake
10-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I would check the battery connections for corrosion. Make sure you pull them apart.

richtazz
10-14-2010, 09:30 AM
How did interstate determine the battery was not the cause, did they actually test it, and if so, did they test it on the car or did you take the battery to them after removing it from the car? Also, did you see any security warning lights on the dash when the car lost power/wouldn't start?

gsal86
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks Blake!

Rich: The interstate shop tested it while still connected to the vehicle. I also had batteries plus test it and both shops said it was good. Well, batteries plus kind of tried to sell me a battery but i was watching the test and it was good. I think it is just a loose connection because today it didn't start again and i then wiggled the negative terminal and got power back. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!