Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hub Assembly

gsal86
10-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I was getting 4 new tires today and they informed me that my 2000 grand prix needed badly aligned to the point where they needed to "elongate the hole" to make the camber adjustment. Is this just a line? I didn't think it was but they had a hard time explaining it when I tried to ask them in detail what that meant.

Also, they told me I needed new hub assemblies on both front tires. I got home and jacked it up and there was some small play in both of them. Is this a pressing issue? Is it pretty easy to replace them on your own?

Thanks for the help.

GTP Dad
10-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Did you take the car to an alignment shop or a mechanic. I think they were trying to make some money off of you. The hubs are sealed assemblies and they can have some play in them as they wear. Physically elongating the hole on an assembly to align the car would, in my opinion actually damage the suspension so it may just be a line they use.

The hubs are expensive to replace if you have someone do them for you. Each hub can be well over $120 without labor to install so a second opinion would be worth the effort.
You can do the replacement yourself and there is a good write up on this site on how to do the replacement. OEM hubs are the best and they do cost the most but they also last the longest. Have the car checked by another mechanic to get a second opinion before you change them.

richtazz
10-14-2010, 10:01 AM
adding to what Lynn (GTP Dad) suggested, the free play in the hubs could be what's throwing the alignment out far enough to where they say it needs the holes elongated, as a worn hub will tip the wheel in slightly at the top when weight is put on it. Get a second opinion for sure.

gsal86
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Ok Thanks, so in your opinion the play in the hub assembly should be attended to shortly to prevent more alignment issues?

gsal86
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I've been looking into this whole "elongating the hole" line and some poeople say its needed and some say it is just a bunch of BS. My camber adjustments before were -1.6 for left front and .06 after adjustment. Then my left rear was -1.6 before and -1.2 after.

Do the before numbers make sense for them to tell me they need to "elongate the hole?"

tblake
10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I forgot what the from camber spec was on mine, but I had the same issue you did where tires plus tried to let me ok them to "hone the strut". Whatever that meant. No thanks! Different shop aligned everything just fine.

BNaylor
10-17-2010, 07:32 AM
I was getting 4 new tires today and they informed me that my 2000 grand prix needed badly aligned to the point where they needed to "elongate the hole" to make the camber adjustment. Is this just a line? I didn't think it was but they had a hard time explaining it when I tried to ask them in detail what that meant.

:confused:

No it is not B.S. Using a camber eccentric bolt kit and elongating the strut mounting holes is accepted and standard practice due to suspension component fair wear over the years and depending on mileage. It is recommended by GM and alignment Pros that know what they are doing. I've had a camber kit installed for several years in my GTP.

Also, when you use larger wheels/tires greater than the stock 16" a camber kit and elongating the strut holes is necessary on both front and rear. Otherwise the camber whether positive or negative will be out of factory specs.

Meaning your new tires will have abnormal wear.

Add your comment to this topic!