Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bought a fat fender to play with

Oldengineer
10-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I had a 1937 Dodge Business Coupe when I was in high school back in the early 60's. I love the styling of these old veterans. About a month ago, I found a nice looking 48 Chevy Fleetmaster on Craigslist, and, the car was only 10 miles from me. Wife and I went to look at it, and, ended up buying it. She's dead stock with a 90 HP inline 6 under the hood. After all these years, I'm enjoying going to cruise ins and car shows again with a car that was built when I was 2 years old.

Regards:
Oldengineer
1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster 2 Dr. Town Sedan

maxwedge
10-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Cool car, saw one at a local car show, my wife loves those cars, but it cannot negotiate the interstate at 65 like my 55 Chrysler so I did not go for it, but the style is cool. I have 2 stock 51 Chevy p/u trucks in my shop having some braking and steering repairs done, nice restorations but borderline driveable by my standards.

oldblu65
10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Are you going to keep it stock or are you going to " tinker " with it ? :biggrin:

MagicRat
10-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Wife and I went to look at it, and, ended up buying it. She's dead stock with a 90 HP inline 6 under the hood.

You took your wife??

You are lucky. My wife has no interest in cars. I usually buy my projects in secret then hide them from her for , oh, about 6 months.
Then, when she does something rash, like spending $2000 on underwear, I can tell her of the project without her protesting. :)

Nice car btw.

Oldengineer
10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
MagicRat:

When we started dating back in the 60's, we ran around in my 37 Dodge. She loved the old Fat Fender as much as I did. I sold the Dodge while I was in college, and, married the girl. Now we've got another Fat Fender to run around in.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Oldengineer
10-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Cool car, saw one at a local car show, my wife loves those cars, but it cannot negotiate the interstate at 65 like my 55 Chrysler so I did not go for it, but the style is cool. I have 2 stock 51 Chevy p/u trucks in my shop having some braking and steering repairs done, nice restorations but borderline driveable by my standards.

Mine has a rebuilt stock 216 in it. Mine seems to be OK cruising at 65 on the interstate - with occasional bursts up to 70. I'm afraid to push her too hard with the primitive oiling system this engines got. Best solution with the 48 from what I've been told - is to ditch the stock 4:11 rear gears, and, put in the gears out of a later model Powerglide car.

Regards:
Oldengineer

maxwedge
10-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Correct on the gearing and semi splash lube, 65 is asking for trouble over a long haul, of course the torque tube set up is a PITA to change internal gears or just swap in a whole axle assy.

Oldengineer
10-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Max:
If I ever decide to go to the trouble, I'll swap the rear end and put in a later model 235 with the full pressure lube system.

Regards:
Oldengineer

maxwedge
10-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Common conversion.

Oldengineer
10-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Correct - There's detailed information on some of the Chevy forums on exactly what's needed to do the swap.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Add your comment to this topic!