2001 Isuzu Rodeo p0463

furgo
10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Fix one thing and couple months later, new thing comes along. Engine light flashed on (AGAIN). I pulled the code, p0463 fuel level sensor high voltage, and it went off by itself. Every now and then, mainly when the truck is idling, the gas light will flash and the gauge will move up and down. And even after the tank is full it never registers as completely full, it's like 1/16 of a difference. Of course being a girl, people are telling me things left and right. I know it could be the fuel sending kit,the sensor, or problem with the float. I called the frickin dealer (sorry dealer techs) and they told me $700-ish to fix... sounds like a crock of crap. I've seen where the fuel sending kit is anywhere from $30 to $80 and I know the tank has to be dropped in order to repair.

Ideas?

2000izusu
10-15-2010, 08:52 AM
you need a new fuel sending unit (in the tank). well known problem. i had mine done under the warranty. mike

jscooto
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Furgo, I've got the same issue with the same car and have gotten a few estimates and they are about the same, $600-$750. Pretty high but I think that's about right when you consider they are probably going to go ahead and replace the entire fuel pump ($250-$300) plus a few hours labor to drop the fuel tank and what not. Probably not worth it to me for a 2001 vehicle worth less than $5k. My thing is if I can just get the car passed for Tennessee Emissions I can live with it. I just reset the trip odometer at fill up and estimate when it's time to fill up again based on MPG.

Mike, I considered the warranty thing, and with the 120,000 mile 10 year powertrain warranty I would just qualify. However, I talked to the service guy at the dealer and he says Isuzu probably won't pay for the whole fuel pump if it's just the sensor or sending unit and only the fuel pump is covered under the warranty. Any thoughts on this?

amigo-2k
01-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I had my replaced under warranty about a year ago and the dealer replace the whole fuel pump.

Ask your dealer to call Isuzu and Isuzu should tell them to replace the entire thing ....

Cat Fuzz
01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
I can drop my tank and replace my fuel pump inside 30 minutes. If I can do it in my garage, with no lift, that fast, it's even easier for a dealer or shop. I get so sick and tired of shops convincing people that dropping a fuel tank is a huge process, it just isn't.

travel passport
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
@Cat Fuzz- any words of wisdom on that tank drop? Bout to have a go-just me and her.

FYI- this will be the third sending unit since it came off the line and its only a 2000. 1st time was @ ~100k this time its @~200K. Wish they had an access panel like the other threads were discussing.

Cat Fuzz
11-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Just make sure there's not a lot of fuel in the tank. I have a flat plate that takes the place of my saddle on my floor jack but it's custom made.

Add your comment to this topic!