Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering Fluid Leak

tacosoldier
10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Currently my Intrigue is at 207,000. Had it for about 4 years now. One morning while I was on my way to work, I heard my car whine as I made a left turn to get on the highway. On my lunch break, I checked and found that the power steering reseviour was bone dry. Filled up and about few weeks later, I had to refill it. After filling it back up, I felt around it and could not feel any wet or dampness around the reseviour or the lines.
I then put my car on some ramps and found that the rack-n-pinion boots were damp. I then assume that is where I'm losing PS fluid can anyone tell what I need to do to fix this problem, my repair manual doesn't specify anything about this.

Ruley73
10-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Currently my Intrigue is at 207,000. Had it for about 4 years now. One morning while I was on my way to work, I heard my car whine as I made a left turn to get on the highway. On my lunch break, I checked and found that the power steering reseviour was bone dry. Filled up and about few weeks later, I had to refill it. After filling it back up, I felt around it and could not feel any wet or dampness around the reseviour or the lines.
I then put my car on some ramps and found that the rack-n-pinion boots were damp. I then assume that is where I'm losing PS fluid can anyone tell what I need to do to fix this problem, my repair manual doesn't specify anything about this.

Sounds like you need a new steering rack & pinion. Unfortunately, Magnasteer racks are a bit pricey. Plan on spending between $200-250 plus core deposit (usually ~$100-$150) and twice that if you have a shop repair it.

If you are handy you might be able to just buy the seal/repair kit and rebuild it yourself for about $20-$30.

tacosoldier
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I have to admit, it's intimidating reading the warning. But I may still perform the replacement procedure myself. Don't have the $550 + dollars to shell out anymore and hopefully can find the rack-n-pinion deal to reduce cost. Any suggestions on what to use to support the car and frame?

tacosoldier
10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds like you need a new steering rack & pinion. Unfortunately, Magnasteer racks are a bit pricey. Plan on spending between $200-250 plus core deposit (usually ~$100-$150) and twice that if you have a shop repair it.

I found out how pricey this things are the hard way. A few months after buying this car. I had to replace this part and thought that if I bought this part at O'Reilly's and took it took a local shop, I should save some money. I had to pay the mechanic twice because the rack that I bought was defective. They had to call up O'Reilly's and order another one. I wasn't a happy fella.

If you are handy you might be able to just buy the seal/repair kit and rebuild it yourself for about $20-$30.

I checked the kit out online at Autozone's website. Boy, there alot of seals to deal with. I may take this route if I can't find a deal on a rack.

Add your comment to this topic!