Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i need advice... 85 caprice 4.3 v6

gnoel0524
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM
i have an 85 caprice with a v6 tbi. Im swapping it for a carburated 350, and i want to swap the rearend for a posi one. what should oi take the rearend out of, and what type of trans should i run. i like burnin a little rubber every once in a while but i still travel the highway also... what to do?? and is it hard to swap the gears in the rearend... never done it. the caprice is stock, 85 4.3tbi.

gnoel0524
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Please n Thank you

MT-2500
10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
i have an 85 caprice with a v6 tbi. Im swapping it for a carburated 350, and i want to swap the rearend for a posi one. what should oi take the rearend out of, and what type of trans should i run. i like burnin a little rubber every once in a while but i still travel the highway also... what to do?? and is it hard to swap the gears in the rearend... never done it. the caprice is stock, 85 4.3tbi.

First thing check state inspection and federal laws on swaping from a computer controled car to carb.
You can run into a night mare there and may be illegal.
When you go a bigger engine you need stronger sunspension and brakes and tire and radiator and stronger transmission and rear end.

Might be cheaper and better to trade for what you want.
When you get one set up to burn rubber you are going to lose gas millage.
Is burning rubber wort that?

Blue Bowtie
10-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Personally, I'd stick with some form of EFI. A 1986 or later TPI is just about ideal for a heavy car like that. With the right cam, decent program, and even the lower ratio axle, low-end torque will have you burning tires at a whim, and yet net you upwards of 22 mpg on the highway. A good SFI system will give you tire smoke and 26-27 MPG.

Add your comment to this topic!