95 K1500 Brake Light Switch Replacement

AllGM
10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Need help! How do I replace the stop light switch on my 1995 K1500?
Its difficult to see up there, but it looks like it is held in place by some sort of cap or push nut on a stud. Any tricks to get this thing R + R? Knuckles bleeding already. Help.

MT-2500
10-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Big black box one?
Look at new one and you can see how it clips on.
Unplug it.
Pull down and unclip from brake pedal

AllGM
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a box-like switch. I just can't figure out how to get at that push nut or whatever it is. Does it pry off? It's up there in a very hard to reach spot.

MT-2500
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a box-like switch. I just can't figure out how to get at that push nut or whatever it is. Does it pry off? It's up there in a very hard to reach spot.
Just snaps on.
Take a look at your new one.
Pull straight down.
Good Luck

MT-2500
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Or if you have the type that clips on brake pedal rod you will have to remove pin/clip holding brake rod to brake pedal to get switch off.

AllGM
10-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks again for the reply. I wouldn't beat this to death if it wasn't such a problem for me. I've looked at the new one and I can see how it mounts on a post on the brake lever itself and the rod. The problem is the post - it doesn't appear to just snap on - there is a retainer on the post that is nearly impossible to get at. I need to know if it is push nut that has to be pryed off or what and how best to accomplish that.

MT-2500
10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry I can not help you on that one.
May take a look at a new clip may help.
Good Luck

AllGM
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I got it done. FYI, the switch is held on to the shaft on the brake pedal lever by what is best described as a collar with a spring steel washer attached. A BIG pain to remove and in a very hard to get at locarion. I got it off by working at it with a long flat blade screwdriver until it broke. The collar portion of the retainer remained on the shaft. I left it there and was still able to get the switch off the shaft. I hope this helps someone who has to do this crappy job. Who designs things like this? Other things on this truck are fastened with Mickey Mouse plastic clips, and this thing was over-engineered to withstand a rocket launch! Makes NO sense.

MT-2500
10-13-2010, 04:56 AM
O yes.
Some of them things are getting to be a big pain.
Sorry I could not help more.
That is the reason I sugested you get a new clip to see how it clips on and also old one does not come off in very good shape and is not safe to re use.
I have not run on to that type of clip on a 95 but have on some newer stuff.
I most always wind up having to order and get a new clip from dealer to get it back together right.
Old clip never comes off in good enought shape to put back on.
And I am afraid of the thing coming back off and brake pedal rod jumping off and customer losing all brake.
Not a good set up on them.
We hope you got a new clip and got it back on good.
Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!