Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Murcury Villager Power Steering

osu1fan2002
10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey Temp the problem still occurs and I found the new thread button for anyone else with advise. Ok here goes.

About 2 months ago I had changed the idoler pulley which runs with the AC with no problem. During my repair I noticed that the belt tensionor pulley that runs with the water pump and power steering pump was making the same noise(Bearing going out). So about 2 to 3 weeks ago I finally changed it. That is when my issue accured.

Ever since I changed the belt tensionor pulley I have been getting noise coming from my tires (Power steering) when I turn the wheel standing still or slightly moving while turning, and it gets louder the more I turn it. When I am on the highway I get no more noise. It only happend when driving slow or parked.

**Just keep in mind this never happened until I changed the belt tension pulley.**

The things that I have done to try and correct the problem.

I have loosened the belt a little thinking it was possiably to tight. It feels the same as the other ones.

I have gotten a baster and emptied the power steering fluid out of the resivoir and added new fluid

I turned the wheel from side to side all the why until the noise disappears thinking it may be air, but to come to find out the next day it was there again, after being ok that night.

Any help would be greatly helpful. This is really getting to be annoying.
:banghead:

tempfixit
10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I am beginning to believe you have a faulty new belt tensioner pulley.

If you only changed the fluid in the p/s reservoir once I would do al least 2 more times. Maybe change fluid and drive dor a day and change again .

Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

osu1fan2002
10-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I am beginning to believe you have a faulty new belt tensioner pulley.

If you only changed the fluid in the p/s reservoir once I would do al least 2 more times. Maybe change fluid and drive dor a day and change again .

Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Thank you temp. Your insight is always 20/20 :). I will chanage the p/s fluid in the reservoir when I get home and do so for the next couple of days. However you did mention something about the tie rods in our previous converdation and today It kind of sounded like they were cranking a little. How would I easly check those?

FYI- I had the whole front end replaced about a year ago.

tempfixit
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Do you know what brand parts that were used on the front end? Are these parts the greaseable ones or non - greaseable?

You should be able to move the outer tie rod end with some pressure. I would grab the inner tie rod shaft by the outer tie rod end and try moving it at the pivot point ( it should move on the ball like inside of the end, if not I would check further.)

This is truly puzziling to me. ( Is this the original water pump? Maybe this has something to do with bad bearing in water pump is corresponding with the power steering.)

osu1fan2002
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Do you know what brand parts that were used on the front end? Are these parts the greaseable ones or non - greaseable?

Not sure, It was done at Big Tire and I watched him do it, but did not know enough to find out.

You should be able to move the outer tie rod end with some pressure. I would grab the inner tie rod shaft by the outer tie rod end and try moving it at the pivot point ( it should move on the ball like inside of the end, if not I would check further.)

I Will let you know after this is done

This is truly puzziling to me. ( Is this the original water pump? Maybe this has something to do with bad bearing in water pump is corresponding with the power steering.)

To my knowledge it is the original water pump and power steering pump. I bought it with about 110K miles and currently has 213K miles.

I have colored my responces in red.

tempfixit
10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Have you every changed the timing belt? or know if it was changed before you got the vehicle?

Since no one else has any sugestions post this problem on the other site I mentioned to you as I believe they can help more than I can and this has really peaked my curiousity.

osu1fan2002
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Have you every changed the timing belt? or know if it was changed before you got the vehicle?

Since no one else has any sugestions post this problem on the other site I mentioned to you as I believe they can help more than I can and this has really peaked my curiousity.

http://search.ebscohost.com/Community.aspx?community=y&authtype=ip&ugt=723731763C3635273746359632653E4228E361D3661361 9362E320E337133503&return=y&IsMobile=N does not give me the selections that you mentioned. And Yes I have changed all 3 belts (A/C, Power Steering and Water Pump)

tempfixit
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I was asking about the timing belt. did you chnage it when you changed the water pump?

PM sent

osu1fan2002
10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
I was asking about the timing belt. did you chnage it when you changed the water pump?

PM sent

I have not changed the water pump, and to my knowledge those are the only 3 belts that it has.

tempfixit
10-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I have not changed the water pump, and to my knowledge those are the only 3 belts that it has.

THe 3 belts you are refferring too are considered the drive belts.

The timing belt is what connects the valvetrain operation to the crankshaft rotation. which also rotates the rotor in the distributor that transfers the spark too the plugs. These belts will wear out and break at times but do not worry as these engines are NON INTERFERENCE which means theat when the valve and pistons are out of time there will not be any internal damage. (Valves have clearence so they do not hit the pistons). THE recommended interval to change the belt is 100.000 miles but many poeple have 180 to 190K on the vehicle and never have changed the belt. IF that is the original water pump and timing belt that is the most miles I have heard about on the original parts.

osu1fan2002
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
THe 3 belts you are refferring too are considered the drive belts.

The timing belt is what connects the valvetrain operation to the crankshaft rotation. which also rotates the rotor in the distributor that transfers the spark too the plugs. These belts will wear out and break at times but do not worry as these engines are NON INTERFERENCE which means theat when the valve and pistons are out of time there will not be any internal damage. (Valves have clearence so they do not hit the pistons). THE recommended interval to change the belt is 100.000 miles but many poeple have 180 to 190K on the vehicle and never have changed the belt. IF that is the original water pump and timing belt that is the most miles I have heard about on the original parts.

Thank for your help and knowledge. I have had the vechile since it had 109K or so miles on it and I think I am sitting at 213K or so, if it is the original maybe it is a record :lol2:

drcoffee
12-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Its not uncommon for the bearings to fail after drive belts are replaced. you may have over tightened the belt which affected the old pump bearing. or a ball jt failure can cause the steering to work too hard. I've experienced both issues.

Add your comment to this topic!