Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

main window switch

pp270
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know if the front drivers side main window switch on a 2000 grand prix gt is common with any other vehicle?

Or a low cost aftermarket source to purchase one?

tblake
10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I have a spair used one laying around somewhere for a 4-door.

Not sure if it works or not. I bought it used.

For 20.00 paypal its yours.

pp270
10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
that sounds interesting. I have got two used ones from the bone yards and both havn't worked. I found that if the switches actuates and clicks in both directions then they are typically good. If the switch is soft when actuating it is bad. My current switch has the drivers window broken. How does yours actuate?

tblake
10-12-2010, 01:30 AM
3 actuate fine, drivers is soft as you say. so its probably shot.

have you tried taking them apart and piecing them together to make one working one?

pp270
10-12-2010, 09:25 AM
No I havn't. Do you know if that is possible. I will take a look at the spare and see if it looks like it will come apart.

tblake
10-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I think it has little clips towards the back that you can use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry and pop the switch apart.

I will look at mine a little later and see.

richtazz
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The most common failure in these switches are the little ears attached to the button rocker that actually push the metal tangs down. You can move them from one position not often used (like the passenger rear) as a temp fix until you can get a replacement. I put a Dorman switch in my 99 4-door, and the only complaint I have is occasionally when you release the switch after putting the window up, it will click back tot he express down position and the window will go back down. It's less than 1/2 the cost of the GM switch and matches perfectly.

Add your comment to this topic!