Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 grand prix anti-theft system components

Konstantin
10-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I am looking to upgrade my 1997 Grand Prix with the factory anti-theft system and I am trying to compile a parts list, so far i have not been having much luck locating what is needed for this to work, any input into what is needed would be greatly appreciated.

tblake
10-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Why Factory?

What specific anti-theft system did you want to add?

PK3 VATS transponder key system, or the alarm system?

You may just be better off installing an aftermarket system which will be easier/cheaper/ and while your at it, you could install a remote starter.

Konstantin
10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm looking to install the factory alarm system. I already thought about a third party remote started but thats a little too expensive right now and I can pull the parts for a factory setup from the from the junkyard

BNaylor
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Are you referring to the orginal factory content theft alarm system for the 1997 year? What model GP do you have? I believe your current body control module (BCM) doesn't support it.

PK3 VATS transponder key system, or the alarm system?

Tim, 1997 models did not have Passkey 3 or even the Passkey 2 with the key resistor pellet in reference to the VATS immobilizer system.

Konstantin
10-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Are you referring to the orginal factory content theft alarm system for the 1997 year? What model GP do you have? I believe your current body control module (BCM) doesn't support it.

I have a 1997 GP SE, could I not just swap the BCM from a 97 GP that did have the alarm installed? Also my car currently has the remote keyless entry system if that makes any difference in what would be needed

andretti
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
It would be a lot of work to change it over.
-You would need install the door lock tumbler switches and wiring.
-Change over the forward wiring harness and add the theft deterrent for headlamp feed & output.
-updated BCM.
-Change over the IP harness and add in the top dah security indicator.
- ...and I'm sure others here can add to this list.

Konstantin
10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
It would be a lot of work to change it over.
-You would need install the door lock tumbler switches and wiring.

I already have the remote entry option which can lock/unlock the doors. Would I need a different set of wiring and switches for the alarm or can I use the existing parts?

andretti
10-12-2010, 08:38 PM
The tumpler/latch switch is separate part from the cylinder power lock solinoid.

Also, i missed "relay" in the second line, s/b theft deterrent relay.

richtazz
10-13-2010, 10:20 AM
the factory alarm system is operated through the BCM. The BCM's are different between ones with just keyless entry vs factory keyless entry/anti-theft. Since the BCM's then need to be flashed with your VIN-specific information, I don't believe it is possible to add anti-theft to a vehicle that came without. You can try to call a dealer to see if just swapping the BCM's and having the new one flashed with the anti-theft content would work, but I doubt it. It would be much less costly to just add an aftermarket alarm system, as the replacement BCM would run you almost $233 retail, plus the cost of programming and that's assuming this upgrade is possible.

Add your comment to this topic!