Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

These Modern Automatics

senorbarriga
10-09-2010, 07:38 PM
HI everybody!...I'm new to the forum! Not an expert mechanic but have put my hands on a few cars that I owned...as a hobby more than anything....always got a box full of leftover parts after reassembling a car though....but heck, it ran, ok.

I want to buy a new car...automatic....and I am going crazy with all the different types of transmissions out there! Correct me if I'm wrong...but for example, a new VW with a DSG is not the same nor does it drive like an older automatic right? Many of the types available nowadays are just a manual transmission but without the clutch pedal right? Which cars, particulary ones sold in Europe, are true automatics? I want them to drive exactly like my old Ford Econoline, my old Porsche 944, my old VW Rabbit, my old Chevy pickup, etc....I would put in in drive (or whatever) and it would pull strongly foward as I let off the brakes, it would not roll back when doing so uphill, it would react instantly to my pressing on the accelerator (or when slowing down), it wouldn't act funny when parking and I needed to go on top of the sidewalk a little (transmission would not hesitate and then suddenly launch me foward like a fool). Many of these modern versions of automatics don't quite "feel" the same and are not as comfortable....or is it just me?

Add your comment to this topic!