2002 Honda Accord V6 Starting Problems

shlotz
10-08-2010, 08:01 PM
My girlfriend drives a 2002 Honda Accord V6 with about 100k miles on it. Recently it has been acting up and I want to know if any of you know what could be causing it. It is really an intermittent problem but is annoying as hell, and might be a pretty simple fix. This is what usually happens and in this order.

1. You sit down and turn the ignition, the car will start fine, and then abruptly die (within 2-3 seconds)

2. You sit there and think "ok wtf"

3. Go to start the car again...and all it will do is turn over without firing

4. You take it to the next level by turning it over while pushing the accelerator

5. After a bunch of hassle the thing will finally start, but then will proceed to die if you take your foot off the accelerator

6. After a while the car will run on its own without keeping foot on the accelerator.

This problem seems to be completely random, it will happen once maybe twice per week. On the times where the car does not start hard (which is 90-95% of the time), it starts and runs absolutely 100% perfect. One thing I have noticed that the problem tends to show its face more on hot days, although it has happened in a range of different temperatures. The car has been taken into the shop and looked at and they found nothing wrong with it. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, this car is in close to mint shape and has always been well maintained.

BullShifter
10-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Main relay. They usually act up more when it's warm in the car. It's a little box located above the hood release handle. When you turn the key on w/o starting the engine you should hear it click, you can also grab it and feel it click. When it doesn't start see if there is no click from the relay. Letting the car air out helps when it won't start. A main relay controls the fuel system on a Honda and usually show up when it's hot.

Add your comment to this topic!