Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2011 Sienna v 2011 Odyssey

piyush1
10-06-2010, 06:29 AM
We've had a 2005 LX Odyssey for 5 years. We have 3 kids. Our one big mistake is that we didn't get leather. Having kids, we've regretted that decision ever since. With that said, we're really getting tired of our 05 and ready for a new van.

We received a flier in the mail from the local Honda dealership telling us about a special finance deal that they had on 2010 Odysseys. They were throwing in some extras like an extended warranty, so we thought why not go down and check it out. This time get the leather right?

Well when we got to the Honda dealership we decided we had to at least check out the new Siennas, seeing as has how we couldn't possibly make a decision on buying a new Odyssey without at least LOOKING at the sienna even if it was just a cursory to "check the boxes" type of glance. We knew of course we would end up back and the Honda dealership since we've pretty much owned Hondas for the last 25 years (and since the last Odyssey was WAY better than the last Sienna). Well, there we were checking out the 2010 Odyssey with leather (the EX-L). It didn't seem that impressive us, but mainly because we wanted a green Odyssey and they just don't sell that color anymore. It felt like the same car we had and given that we were just picking up the leather--it didn't seem like it was worth 35K. The dealer had another 8K markup on it after the MSRP...not a good sign for negotiating to invoice. So we ended up leaving there and heading over to the Toyota dealer and checking out their new Sienna. Here's the surprise: we really liked it. It's a much better van than their prior generation.

Which is now why I am posting here now. We really liked the Sienna. And we are seriously considering it as a replacement to our 05 Odyssey. Price wise appears better. There are some draw backs. I'd say the Sienna doesn't handle quite as good as the Odyssey, but that may be just because I'm used to the Odyssey. It felt like a "fatter" car to me. The brakes seemed sluggish and the engine didn't seem quiet as peppy to me, although it does come with a 6 speed auto which is nice.

The dilemma we have is do we wait for the 2011 Odyssey???? The 2011 Odyssey is also supposed to be redesigned. I'd like to know what that is like before I commit to the Sienna. Specifically, I want to know if the rumors are true. Is the 2011 Odyssey getting a diesel engine as an option? Is that true? Is the 2011 Honda Odyssey coming with a possible diesel engine? If it is, I'm waiting. We own an 09 335d which I just love. The torque is unreal and the car gets 40 mpg on the highway.

If the Odyssey comes with a diesel option that will probably put the mpg to over 30+ in the highway. That would be a key selling point for me.

So does anyone know the truth?

Add your comment to this topic!