Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Loosing Connection

michtui
10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I have an experience with my Toyota Corolla while driving at 60Kph and the power shuts down and the engine stop, then I look inside the hood and check the battery and hit the pole connector and fortunately my car got it power back, what do you think about this experience, any suggestion which one do I need to replace battery or the battery clamp?

jdmccright
10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
First off welcome to AF!

Sounds to me like it is a corroded battery cable or loose ground. Check the cables at the post connections for any swelling or stiffness...corrosion of the copper inside can build up and make it hard to flex. If good, take a solution of dissolved baking soda and pour it over the battery terminals to dissolve and neutralize any corrosion or buildup. Rinse off with a slow stream of water...do this outside and away from others. Then remove the cable connections and clean the battery's terminals with a wire brush. Finally, follow the black negative cable to a ground connnection on the car body and make sure it isn't rusted or loose. Clean with wire brush and retighten. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!